Flush Tonneua and Line-X

shawn_butler

:thumbs: My exact future mods! What brand lid? Your brake calipers are lookin good also :cool: What paint did you use?

Just found the post about your calipers. Nice work! How they holdin up?

:cool: Looks very good. The best thing is that you did not need to pull off the tail gate cap and put a new one on. I went with ARE and had to do that because the cap comes over the tail gate to lock it. Did you need to put in a tail gate lock as well?? Looks great.

Thanks guys!!! :cheers:

The tonneua cover is Checkmate FX from WWW.CHECKERPRO.COM.

They do make a quik release hinge for it, I did not go with it. They said more of the hinge would be exposed and I wasn't sure if I would like it. Four screws takes the cover right off in this configuration. The only draw back to this cover is you have to drill some hole to mount the hinge and the lift rods. Still I like the hidden weather seal and that is the main reaon I went with this one.

Still need to put the stake pocket covers on.

The brake calipers, I used epoxy pait from Mid America it is 40.00 for the kit. It has kept the caliper pretty clean so far. The kit will do all four calipers inside and out with two coats and still have some left over. It does not seem like enough paint but will do it.

The front calipers are painted black from the factory and the rear are bare aluminum. The paint fish eyed a little going over the black in ther front. But the second coat covered most of it.

Now that is just plain awesome looking! :cheers::cool::thumbs:

I am still trying to figure out which tonneau cover to go with. I do think I want a flush mount one so that I don't have to remove the tailgate lip. I think it is between the Checkmate FX and the Fastback-II from Urban Industries. I know the seal is on the outside on the Fastback, but I like the idea of being clamp on with no drilling required. Does anyone have any pictures of the Fastback-II?

Justin :chevy:

Justin,

I had the Fastback II on my last truck. It is a nice unit. I don't have a good picture of it. It looks the same as this one except for the exposed seal. After a couple of years it would get a little water in the bed and the seal dried out. Either way I am sure you will be happy with the results. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
They do make a quik release hinge for it, I did not go with it. They said more of the hinge would be exposed and I wasn't sure if I would like it.

so do the hinges show any now, or is that just the quick release version? buy the way, it looks badass! :thumbs::chevy:

All that you see is the pivot of the hinge, just like aclosed door. I had it painted and you can't really see it unless you look for it.

The fast back II I had on my last truck, had the quick release hinge on it, and four inches of the hinge and the full width of the bed was exposed. It did not look bad, but I wanted a cleaner look.

I am not sure what the Checkmate quick release hinge looks like, but the guy at the factory said that you would see alot more of it. It sounded just like the fastback one.

If you intend on removing it more than twice a year, I would probably go with the quick hinge.

It's all about your personel preference. :D

Archived