Shifting miss

When I bought my truck the transmission shifted just fine with no miss then it blew and I had it under warranty so a $500 deductible wasn't bad at all so about a week later I got my truck back and it's been missing 2-3 and 3-4 for a few seconds before it catches on. So far I have k&n cold air intake, no cats or muffler ( I like it loud) and that's it. It's been like that a few months I was wondering if it could be a tune problem or not but I don't want to buy a shift kit or anything now becuase once this one goes I'll either do a 80e swap or if the warranty is still good I'll get another new tranny. Just want to solve the problem now. And the new transmission wasn't rebuilt it was ordered from chevy OEM.

When you say missing do you mean it is holding each gear too long before it will up shift? Or will it refuse to shift to the next gear until you let off the throttle and get back into it? Honestly I wouldn't bother with an 80e swap with your truck the way it is now unless you have bigger plans for the future such as forced induction or a ton of nitrous, and even then you'll have to get pretty extreme with it before you really need to even consider an 80e swap. Im sure theres not an over abundance of reputable transmission builders in your area but even a mild performance rebuild should be more than enough for your mods. Just my .02.

It's holding each gear too long and sometimes I have to let off the throttle to let it shift. And I plan to supercharge next summer so the 80 would be my best option in my opinion from what I read on the site

I would say it sounds like you have somethin clogging up the valve body. It could also be tuning. Did you have it tuned for a stall or shift kit or anything before that it now doesn't have? If not I'd get a shift kit and put it in, giving you the chance to clean it out in there.

If the trans is brand new there wouldnt be anything in the valve body. if there was a blockage there, the trans would get hot and the trucks shifting would get worse, and become to the point of it just going to neutral.

I wouldnt touch the trans. Its still under warranty, bring it back to the dealer.....

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

Not sure about the shift kit or tune and I don't believe the warranty will cover anything. Maybe I'll call the shop tomorrow and find out what they seen when they pulled the old tranny. Would just like to solve the problem for now it bugs me every time. I'm kinda OCD when it comes to my truck

I dont blame you, Im the same way. When was the trans put in, how many miles have you put on it? GM covers the trans with a warranty for so many miles, I believe its 6 months or 6 thousand miles If I remember right. I had my trans replaced for a same issue but mine was from 2nd to 3rd gear every now and then. It took me 4 times test driving the truck with a tech to replicate the issue. I would call a dealer and ask what the warranty is on it.

The dealer ended up replacing my entire trans instead of trying to fix the issue. Its cheaper to replace it with a new one than tear it all down and fix it with all that labor.

Does it come up with any codes? And I must say that people rebuild transmissions, and people make mistakes. And sometimes brand new parts don't work. I would assume if you didn't mention any codes you don't have any coming on, which is strange. We build Allison's and occasionally a 4l60/65e, we've never had this issue. Like blown 346 said, I would definitely check into the warranty since you paid all that money to have it done professionally by them. When we've had issues like this, never in a 60, but in an Allison it is usually something stupid, but internal. Such as a reversed thrust bearing. One other thing you could check should your warranty be void is your servos. While it controls the 1-2 and 2-4 it is arguably the easiest thing to get to and could explain some things.

Just cause its easy you could try seating the neutral safety switch plugs and your main trans harness. Just make sure their all the way on. Have you ever got a chance to see what your tranny pressures look like? Maybe it doesn't get enough at those higher speeds, or maybe too much and won't let it shift.

Unless the truck was tuned, and the trans pressure was adjusted that would stay the same. But it wouldnt cause slipping. GM cannot replace anything drive train or motor wise if they see the tune has been messed with.

As a side note... When my trans started to act up and slip, I never once threw a code, nor did the dealer retrieve any. It was all in perfect timing of having the tech and service writer with me when it happened.

Just found this, This is what My warranty was for my new trans. 3 years or 100,000 miles which ever comes first.

http://www.mycertifiedservice.com/auto-repair/transmission-repair.html

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)