New H/C/I setup questions

LSupNorth6.0

Alright guys, the day comes closer and closer that ill be making my purchase and I have a few questions. I have the cam in my sig right now because I wanted a broad power curve. My first question is, will higher compression tame down a bigger cam? Right now I'm about 10.5:1, I've never been on a dyno so I don't know what my band looks like right now. I just don't want to rev the crap out of my motor to get my power, 6600 max rpm. If I go with say a 228r on 110lsa and bump my compression to about 11.25:1 with some stg 2.5 PRC heads, would my powerband stay lower? I expect it would be higher than it is now, but I'm hoping not too much. Or maybe compression doesn't matter, just displacement? Which I am the stock 364. Basically I'm trying to figure out if I need to buy a new cam with my setup, I know I need it to make more horsepower, but I don't want to sacrifice alot of torque.

If you guys would wanna help me out with some dyno sheets that would be great!

My plan is the stg 2.5 ls6 heads milled to 62-63cc, port matched FAST 102 LSXRT, NW 102DBW, custom 4" intake with MAF. I will need an x-link of course. And potentially the 228r or equivalent cam, I was even thinking torquer v2, but thought it might be a tad large for what I want.

• 2 weeks later...

You are partly right about the bigger cam lowering your compression. It's reall only the duration that makes the difference. I see you wrote 228 and I'm assuming that's the duration at @.050 . This will drop the static compress and make a stock lq4 a little lazy at low rpm but an lq9 like we run should only loose a little. The lobe separation at 110 means it will come in hard at 2500-2800 rpm and carry throughout the rpm range with the correct tune. Adding heads will make it scream that much better but only in the upper rpm. You have to ask yourself with ever mode honestly Is this the rpm I use ? Me, I'm more of a torque guy. I would put my money in a magnacharger before I pump thousands into the rest of the motor. I like to rev out but getting to 6500 rpm is very rare. I usuall shift at 5500. Everyone has their style.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replying man. After some thinking my goal when starting this was to keep the shift point below 6500, so A bigger cam is out of the question. I've been kicking around the ? Supercharger or turbo for awhile. Just being a student and working I can't have my truck torn down too long and I know I could do heads in a day. Maybe ill just keep saving for a 408. I appreciate the feedback though, definitely helped. They're so many possibilities with these motors my mind is all over the place.