Here we go yet again. Trans just blew

Ugh this truck is killing me...

Trans blew yet again. Driving home from work on the highway at around 75mph. It downshifts into 3rd to pass someone (not hard, very gradual) and then it just never went back into 4th. I get off the highway and it seems to be holding 1st gear very long and will not shift until i let off the gas. I changed the shift solenoid, TPS, and did a trans service based on what I read online and nothing changed. Seems like the 2-4 band broke. I only have 1st and 3rd. FML

FYI it was a performabuilt level 3 trans....

Truck needs rear brakes (I have parts)

Front hubs (have 1, needs 2)

Trans rebuild

misc smaller things

and recently it got a CEL for a "small EVAP leak"

I should just fix it and sell it but don't want a truck payment and really can't do that since I am in the process of buying a house.

Blown original trans at around 80 or 90K in 2008

Blown again in 2010 (would overheat and die)

Blown again in early 2012 about a month out of warrenty (pump blew)

reinstall to find a huge leak, rebuild was faulty, sent back, reinstall

Blown again in 2015

Debating paying yet another 1k for performabuilt or have a local builder (who will be more expensive) but i am so sick of it breaking and i think i gave performabuilt enough opportunities to make it right...

Really want this truck to last another 4-5yrs then I am going to get a used 2014 ram 2500

Edited by 67speeda (see edit history)

Noway in hell I'd go with performa. I've never read or heard a good word about it. Your better off having one built at a shop. Of you got the money get a flt level 5 n be done.

The last 4L65e I blew and had rebuilt by a local shop. We ordered a Monster in the Box kit from monster transmissions. Monster has their own sun she'll and 5 pinion gears along with heavy duty everything. I think it was $800 for all the parts including converter and $400 for the rebuild with me pulling and installing the trans. They also sell complete rebuilds. I've been hearing about these 10 vane front pumps blowing and I had one blow on me. I'm wondering if going back to the 7 vane pump word be better?

FLT all the way

Who is FLT or are you saying he should ride his harley?

LOL

The last 4L65e I blew and had rebuilt by a local shop. We ordered a Monster in the Box kit from monster transmissions. Monster has their own sun she'll and 5 pinion gears along with heavy duty everything. I think it was $800 for all the parts including converter and $400 for the rebuild with me pulling and installing the trans. They also sell complete rebuilds. I've been hearing about these 10 vane front pumps blowing and I had one blow on me. I'm wondering if going back to the 7 vane pump word be better?

My trans let go at 160,000kms, the forward sprag grenaded on a moderate 2-1 downshift. I bought the 'SS Monster in a Box' kit from Monster Transmissions, I'm a tech at a GM dealership so I had my trans tech do the rebuild for me. I also put in a 3000rpm stall, ARH long tubes, and an updated tune when I reinstalled my rebuilt trans, I've driven 30,000 (mostly) trouble free km's since the rebuild. Turns out that Monster supplied an incorrect TCC solenoid, my truck wouldn't lock up the converter once the trans fluid reached a certain temp, easy enough fix though once I figured out what was wrong. Not sure if I'd buy from Monster again, they have some pretty horrid reviews, which I discovered after I pulled the trigger on my purchase. Lol. I can't remember which clutch pack it was, but the kit included one less steel and fiber than factory, I also didn't install the shift kit as I thought the truck would shift hard enough as is. It was nice though, watching and having a hand in building my own trans, knowing that it was put together properly!

To the OP, for your piece of mind, I'd prob go with FLT. Either that or an 80 swap.

I would stay away from Monster. I also bought the SS 4l65e(the entire transmission) and long story short they had the bolts were to long for the oil pan and it cracked the transmission case and caused the pump to crack from oil loss within 1500 miles. Had to take it to Chevy and the tech (with 30 years experience) said he'd never seen a pump break like it did. So ended up spending well over 4k for a transmission.

So maybe a rebuild kit would work fine but I'll never buy an entire transmission from them again

Glad to see you didn't go back with Performabuilt for yet another go around. After having 2 of their level 3's fail I went with a local reputable builder who put far more into my 65E then Performabuilt did. My builder said there was nothing special about the Performabuilt unit, that there wasn't much more than a half ass shift kit in it that he couldn't identify. He also told me that it appeared to be an older 60E that had the 65E planetary. Stay away from Performabuilt.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see you didn't go back with Performabuilt for yet another go around. After having 2 of their level 3's fail I went with a local reputable builder who put far more into my 65E then Performabuilt did. My builder said there was nothing special about the Performabuilt unit, that there wasn't much more than a half ass shift kit in it that he couldn't identify. He also told me that it appeared to be an older 60E that had the 65E planetary. Stay away from Performabuilt.

Woah. This is crazy. I just signed in to say the same thing. That is almost word for word what my new builder just said and I trust him a lot more (was highly recommended by my buddy who owns a shop. They send all GM trans to him) . Also the servo is way to stiff and that blew a cheap Chinese manufactured 2-4 band. He is changing the planetary, the input shaft, and he either said it had a z pack or he is going to install one along with total rebuild. Cell was breaking up. $2000 with having my buddy pull/install the trans :(

he also said: "its weird. they used shitty parts and i am not surprised to see it blow. However, they used a good torque converter. Just odd they would sell this crap and then a good budget converter." I laughed and told him that i had a performabuilt converter fail and I installed a Circle D converter. he said "ha, no shit. it all makes sense now"

Edited by 67speeda (see edit history)