outdoor heat pump frozen ??????

cmoney23

Any knowledgeable HVAC guys?

Got some snow and -6 degree weather. My outside hvac unit w/ heat pump is full of snow. The whole surrounding vents( like radiator vents they look like) are packed with snow. and it looks like the heat pump inside is covered with snow. The outside top fan blade works while running heat. It didn't sound good when I looked at it when I got home from work and noticed it was packed with snow. So I turned on my emergency heat so the outside heat pump would shut off. Now how in the world do I unthaw the dam thing??? Cause I don't wanna run it the way it is and I don't wanna run my emergency heat all week.

sounds like you have a bad defrost board/ sensor in the unit outside.

Also it isnt really efficient in that type of weather to run that type of heat pump. I am pretty confident that your system was already running the electric heat to keep up.

Edited by wantaSSS (see edit history)

Doesn't hot water freeze faster than cold? I hated science but that seemed to have stuck!

Might want to clean as much snow & ice off as possible. then maybe use one of those kerosene shop heaters. The tube type pointed at the unit. Just don't burn it all down

Edited by Mrrat1SS (see edit history)

I know hot water freezes faster but I don't see cold water helping to unthaw things and the heater sounds like a good idea also but it's gonna be battling the outside cold air.

Pour a bunch of warm water over it and then after its melted pour some below -0 windshield washer fluid over it to help from the water freezing also make sure the power is off to the unit while performing this

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)

Fix the defrost board/ sensor and the unit will go into defrost and melt itself. That is how it is designed. It reverses refrigerant flow and heats up the outdoor unit thus melting the ice/snow on it. Like I said I am sure your unit was already running the aux. heat because of the cold weather you are having to keep temp in the house. HVAC is what I do for a living.

Putting it in a/c will melt the frost. Could be a refrigerant issue as well. Get someone to throw some gauges on it and see what's going on.

Defrost board, sensor and refrigerant will cause it to freeze.

You could (I would not advise you to) put in defrost mode manually by disabling the fan and let the compressor run (which is essentially all defrost mode is anyway)

Hot water would work and I've done that before when the unit is a big block of ice.

Your best bet is to bite the bullet and find a reputable company to fix the issue so you don't get hurt or make matters worse. Just my 2 cents.

alright got an update. I think it is the defrost that's not turning on. Yeah it is suppose to go to defrost mode every 60-90 minutes. I did pour hot water over it and it did help. It still works. And my emergency heat was kicking on to help heat the house. So as of now I got a "pro" coming out in the morning to look at it. So im gonna run emergency heat all day. I heard emergency heat will cost me twice as much but oh well.

That's definitely in the ballpark. You must keep in mind there is naturally a markup on the part and it isn't just labor you have work comp. Insurances, tools , van to maintain, ect. that the company has to pay for . Glad you got it fixed!

Edited by wantaSSS (see edit history)