AWD Modification

Hello, I have a thought on the AWD system on my 2003 SS. My truck has 80K miles on it and the front differential is worn and is in need of replacement/rebuild. I have been doing some research on this site as well others trying to figure out if this is a project for me to do or not. I am thinking to just buy a re-manufactured front differential assembly.

Now here is a thought: can I buy a 4wd front differential with 4.10 gears, with the actuator assembly and use on my AWD SS? I am thinking that the actuator is just the mechanism for locking/unlocking hubs. The front differentials appear to be the same or at least similar enough to bolt-on.

Using a 4wd differential if this works would give me an option to run either AWD as stock or unlock the hubs into a 2WD mode.

Someone who knows more than me..... will this even work?

Nope, your 2WD vision won't work as you described. You would have to change transfercase, add some wiring, maybe some ECU programming to go from AWD to selectable 2WD/4WD. On the other hand if you find a 4WD front diff in good shape, I believe you just need to swap out the long axle tube that has the electrical actuator with the long tube on your current front diff and bolt it in and retain AWD without much hassle if that's cheaper then a full rebuild.