Cam Install Questions?

Hey guys, was debating whether or not to do a cam swap on the Intimidator? if i do go for it , what other parts should i replace while ive got it apart? truck has 90k miles on it, any info is greatly appreciated!!!!

Mike

In the Build section there is a lot of info. Many of us have one. Most of us have diffrent opinions. I personally would do Springs, hardened pushrods, injectors, timing chain if yours is loose or worn. Gonna need a tune so it runs to it's potential. I'd also do at least a shift kit and a 2nd gear vett servo. I'd also do a tq convertor to match your cam. This is my personal OP.

Everything JC03SS said. I would suspect your timing chain is ok though. But check it out.

Some people will recommend swapping the oil pump. Meh, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. IMO

Replacing it is a lot more involved, plus has potential for oil ring to get pinched and loose oil pressure to motor.

Everything JC03SS said. I would suspect your timing chain is ok though. But check it out.

Some people will recommend swapping the oil pump. Meh, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. IMO

Replacing it is a lot more involved, plus has potential for oil ring to get pinched and loose oil pressure to motor.

From what I remember the oil ring has to come off because the pick up tube has to be pulled anyway if doing the timing set. I pulled my pump, tore it down, cleaned and inspected it before reinstalling. I don't think I'll be reusing it next to around though 320 000km on it now.

On a side note, if you are changing the timing set and pull the pump, buy a NEW pick up tube O ring and be VERY, VERY careful not to pinch it when reinstalling the tube or you'll be pulling it apart again because of oil pressure issues. It's hard to see the O ring seating due to how the pick up tube bolts to the pump so try to feel around the tube every now and then to ensure it goes in correctly.

Edited by canadianVRss (see edit history)