Transfer case output shaft play

How much play do you guys have on your transfer case output shaft? I can move mine about an 1/8 of an inch or a little more side to side and a little bit in and out. I still have a viberation issue with my truck and didn't know if this could be the cause of it. Thanks for the help

• 2 weeks later...

Well I pulled the t-case and took it apart. The bushing at the end of the tailshaft was wearing towards one side pretty heavily. I then noticed that were the bearing sets inside the t case had worn a good bit as well. So I decided to just buy a new shell half. Got the shell In and reassembled the t case. It is a night and day difference. Everything is nice and tight now and the vibrations are gone. I thought I would post this just in case someone else has a similar issue or if someone has this issue in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read that the "wallered out" tailshaft is a common problem, (The magnesium is too soft for the application), and will cause a leak. Makes sense that it would cause a vibration too.

Where did you find your new housing? How tough a job was it to change it out?

Yep been there done that already. I got my back housing from rockauto. I think it cost me 150 shipped. Had no fitment issues at all and all was well. Sadly I have to tear the case apart again for a chain and a broken bearing...

post-24555-142358777603_thumb.png it is under drivetrain.

Yep been there done that already. I got my back housing from rockauto. I think it cost me 150 shipped. Had no fitment issues at all and all was well. Sadly I have to tear the case apart again for a chain and a broken bearing...

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-02-10-12-02-33.png it is under drivetrain.

Thanks for that Paul. :thumbsup:

I bought an aluminum one off of eBay for 160$. I had no fitment issues. The hardest part is getting the snap ring on and off. It's easy to do if you have the right snap ring tool but I didn't.

I've hear about that job specific snap ring tool. Is it expensive or hard to find?

Owners manual states that the chain should be replaced at 60,000 miles. It would be a good idea to install a Sonnax pump kit too to save the case from wear-through.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181332976423?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I bought this transfer case from a guy because it already had the 80e input installed. I have no idea of the mileage on that thing but it showed no wear at all where the pump sit. I still thinks it a good idea though. Look up lock ring pliers. We all call it a snap ring but it's actually called a lock ring from what I read. If anything a pair of snap ring ring pliers that are 90 at the end will work.

I bought this transfer case from a guy because it already had the 80e input installed. I have no idea of the mileage on that thing but it showed no wear at all where the pump sit. I still thinks it a good idea though. Look up lock ring pliers. We all call it a snap ring but it's actually called a lock ring from what I read. If anything a pair of snap ring ring pliers that are 90 at the end will work.

Gotcha. Thanks. :thumbsup: