Upgrade advice

SuperSickSS

What's good everyone, just wanted some advice in upgrading my new 03 silverado ss. It has 48k miles, has a Nelson tune, Volant cai, and just a clean truck. I know I want an exhaust, headers, possibly a cam. Which step should I go first? I plan on upgrading step by step(every 2 months). Will I need to retune after all mods? Any advice is appreciated guys, thanks in advance. -Felipe

I'd do them in that order. Nice exhaust system first. I wouldn't worry about a retune at that point (wouldn't hurt anything though). Next, the headers. You'll want to have it retuned after that, then tuned again after the cam. As far as what to get... for the exhaust, just listen to some video clips and decide what you like best. For the headers, definitely go longtube. Cam. Again, that's all about preference. Just remember sometimes less is more with camshafts. I'd say call a few companies and let them know your specific goals and have a custom grind made. If you just want an off the shelf cam, they could point you in the right direction with that too. Good luck with everything!

Edited by levilz (see edit history)

Thanks for the reply. I like the corsa sport exhaust. On headers what brands are good? On the cam I just want the SS to be faster, wake it up more. What are the most used cams on just exhaust and headers. I'm also worried cam will affect a stock transmission? Will I have to upgrade that before the cam?

The sky is the limit on the trans mods. Most guys do at least a shift kit and servo's, and the larger cooler also.

I have not done these myself but I think that they are possible with the trans in the truck. (I know that a few of them are, art least).

I would suggest that you contact the tuner of your choice, (ZIPPY), and talk over your future mod plans and power goals, and follow their advice. He may even have a trans builder recommendation.

Here is some reading that might help you out on your quest.

Good luck.

https://www.google.com/search?q=4l60+transmission+modifications+%2F+Silveradoss.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Best mod you can do for the stock trans is to take it out and scrap it. THEN do a 4l80e swap and enjoy lasting performance lol.

But seriously if you wanna keep the 60e you will need the Tru cool 40k cooler, a shift kit, and vette servo.

I'm sure I'll keep the 60e. I'll just do those upgrades to it. Maybe if I want to drop in a supercharger at one point I'll have to go with the 80e. Anyone in the Los Angeles area know a good performance shop? I'm not too handy cars, and transmission work seems scary. Lol

Wait the SS has the 4l65e doesn't it? Same shit I guess tho.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I'm looking into buying the shift kit too. I just placed a order for some American racing headers, hope to save up for the corsa sport in about a month. By April I'm going down to Vegas to have zippy tune it after all the mods. Hopefully I can feel a decent difference on the gains. We'll see. Supercharger maybe after I finish paying my chevy express work van. 1 more year! Lol.

Good to see you made it here to the forum Felipe - welcome! Sounds like you're getting the ball rollin with the SS and have chosen a great tuner - Zippy knows these trucks better than anyone and will hook you up with an awesome tune. Just watch your bank account...they have been known to shrink considerably once you start modding! :help:

Edited by L8ERBRO (see edit history)

Thanks Randy. Yeah I've read nothing but good about Zippy. I'll be out in Vegas on a little weekend getaway for the wife's birthday anyways so might as well take advantage of the trip and let Zippy work on my truck. Yeah bro it's expensive, but trucks like yours make me want to go for it. Peer pressure. Haha.

Yeah, Mike's a good dude. I was out in Vegas last summer to play in the WSOP and I stopped by his shop to say hi and meet him. He is really busy so I would probably recommend giving him a heads up you're going to swing by. Tell him I said what's up!