Bought truck with shorties, keep or LT?

marcello7x

Not trying to bash you but I still don't understand why the cutout on the x-pipe. I know you were trying to keep it in your budget but that exhaust won't be free flowing? But more restrictive withe x and y pipe? Should have gone for two manual cutouts and installed before x pipe if you had a budget?

Yes this truck is super budget, except for my time. I already had the cutout, 3.5" piping, flanges, gaskets and so on. only costs on the exhaust were the 2 mufflers, the strait pipes and some of the bends as i had some laying around as well. Im into the truck under 8k out of pocket, including ported heads, cam, the exhaust, rebuilding my front dif, HID projectors, grill, LED lightbar, and front diffuser. Mostly since I've had a ton of spare stuff laying around.

The truck has over 215k on it. To me its just a "winter beater/parts hauler/tow rig for my enclosed race car trailer" Granted i'm pushing the limit with towing, but i'm going to throw on some airbags come spring. Like everything else, i have a set of bags, pump, valves laying around as well.

Anyways back to the flow issue. Yes a single 3.5" cutout will flow less than dual 3" cutouts. Yet its still better than a full exhaust system, and its mostly for baiting the local mustangs into a little light to light fun. Personally i'll run an X pipe on every system i build regardless of my crazy cutout design on this one. With the cutout closed it will have very little turbulence difference compared to a non-butchered x pipe. I would be a bit more concerned if i was building something in the 1000+hp range. But for a DD truck that will see occasional spray its adequate.

Between removing the cats, switching to true 3" piping and better flowing mufflers i'm definitely going to see improvement over the shitty slowmaster's and stock piping narrowed down to 2.5" before the mufflers. Not to mention the obnoxious drone is gone! Which alone is well worth all the work.

I agree, drone blows, not a fan of rasp either. So why the cam and no stall? Because of the weight limit a aftermarket torque converter is rated to tow for? Or is it a little cam that makes good torque and works with the stock converter?

Im planning on a stall at some point in the 2800ish range. The cam is a bit too big for stock stall, hell i think its even too big for something in the 2800 stall range. BUT I got it dirt cheap, and im coming from all manuals. I didn't take into consideration stall speeds when i bought it. Im going to see how the truck responds to that size stall. If it still doesn't feel right i'll swap the cam for something a bit smaller.

The cam specs are: 226/229 573/582 112lsa

I have no drone at all after my x-pipe install... I too cut out the cats and replaced them with e-cutouts, true dual to an x-pipe and back to two magnaflow mufflers and dual out the back and my sound is awesome when I step on it and mellow when I am cruising... I am running Gibson shorties at the moment, so I wont know if LT's will make it sound louder or drone...