making an SS to non SS height(factory height)

york_pa_SS

Was looking around a bit and couldn't quite find the answers I was looking for on this. What are the negatives of taking my 03 SS and making it the factory hight of a normal non SS Silverado? Maybe it would hurt the AWD system, or too much of an angle on the hubs and axels? I love this SS and I know it's a sport truck, but I do lot of stuff offroad with the ATV's and such and would be nice to have that little extra ground clearance for when we have to tow offroad a little bit to get where we are going. Is this something that is easily accomplished or is there too much of a risk damaging the components of the AWD? Maybe someone makes a kit that changes the geometry to make it ok to lift it back up those 2"? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S.- Love thes forums, so informative and it's awesome that people actually answer your questions!

What are the negatives of taking my 03 SS and making it the factory hight of a normal non SS Silverado?

Why not just ask around and SS if anyone has the oem factory parts that they removed to then lower there ss.

Your just look to go back to stock night not lift it right.

He wants it higher than a stock SSS but regular Silverado height.

Thanks for the imput. I don't want to do a body lift, that gap between the bumper and body is killing me as is, couldn't imagine anything worse anywhere else. That bumper mod is in the works to fiz this. I want to go to stock Silverado height, not put a lift kit on the truck. I know this is probably blasphemous in the SS world lol, but I use the truck more as a truck than I do anything else...besides my daily driver, for now. I will look around and see if anyone has the original parts off a Silverado they took off to lower theirs, that's a good idea. I appreciate the feedback, feel free to add more. Anything would be appreciated.

Long Travel SS - http://jdfabrication.com/

I could not get past the opening page but it did have some prices, may want to give them a ring.

You could go with Bilstein shocks (not the 46's). Get a leveling system and add the Bilsteins 52's.

Thread on the site awhile ago about lifting, read JaymZss post. http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/topic/58335-lift-question/

https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrB8pfiBAdVFUkAJT2JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTIycHNubWpyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANhYjczYTRkYmNiYTBhZWNiZTZhNjZhODdlMTdiZmJlYwRncG9zAzMEaXQDYmluZw--?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dlifted%2Bsilverado%2Bss%26n%3D60%26ei%3DUTF-8%26fr%3Dyhs-mozilla-001%26fr2%3Dsb-top-images.search.yahoo.com%26hsimp%3Dyhs-001%26hspart%3Dmozilla%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D3&w=1024&h=768&imgurl=i626.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Ftt348%2Falarm_the_alarm%2Fliftedss.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.silveradoss.com%2Fforums%2Ftopic%2F58335-lift-question%2Fpage-2&size=129.7KB&name=%3Cb%3ELift%3C%2Fb%3E+Question&p=lifted+silverado+ss&oid=ab73a4dbcba0aecbe6a66a87e17bfbec&fr2=sb-top-images.search.yahoo.com&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&tt=%3Cb%3ELift%3C%2Fb%3E+Question&b=0&ni=160&no=3&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=12277dsq9&sigb=15ik00108&sigi=11ub3b6hu&sigt=10kr5ilft&sign=10kr5ilft&.crumb=joabnWC9tmy&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&fr2=sb-top-images.search.yahoo.com&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla

I am not looking to do a true lift like a 6" suspension and all of that, I don't want this a mud truck. I would buy a pre-79 Chevy if I were to do that...which I would love to some time lol. So if I buy a leveling kit and the Bilstein 52's than it will sit like a standard Silverado, or real close to it?

No one has yet to chime in on whether this will prematurely wear out some of the AWD parts or not. Anyone have any ideas on that?

I would have to say that it wouldn't. Your not "lifting it" like someone told you to do.

A leveling kit would work I guess? Might want to check out a lifted Chevy site to see what would be best. I would have to say a 2.5 inch leveling kit?

It shouldn't hurt your awd system. However the awd in these trucks are the weakest link along with the transmissions.

Also understand that when you add a lift and then bigger tires you do tend to put more wear on other parts. But your not going to tall.

I would have to say that it wouldn't. Your not "lifting it" like someone told you to do.

A leveling kit would work I guess? Might want to check out a lifted Chevy site to see what would be best. I would have to say a 2.5 inch leveling kit?

It shouldn't hurt your awd system. However the awd in these trucks are the weakest link along with the transmissions.

Also understand that when you add a lift and then bigger tires you do tend to put more wear on other parts. But your not going to tall.

Could you elaborate on the AWD being the weakest link? I know the transmissions are horrible if you do any performance mods to your truck but if it was to stay stock the transmission is supposed to be pretty reliable... As far as the AWD goes I am still running my stock Transfer case and have heard them take upwards of 1000hp before destroying...