Tune 200k miles

jenkins

I own a 2003 SS with 200k miles, and recently tried contacting LMR to get a tune. They told me my truck has too many miles and wouldn't be interested in working on my truck. Anyone know of a good shop in Houston I can go to? I want to put some work into the truck restoring it and want to make sure the work is done right. My plan right now is to put CAI, Shift Kit, and Corvette Servo as I've read here that those are good initial upgrades. I'm not trying to do anything too crazy, I just want to keep my truck running good. Also, if anyone has experience with a good body shop in town, I'd like to get it repainted and have some interior work done. I appreciate it.

Yeah that's what I thought, he didn't even look at my truck. I keep up with all regular maintenance on the truck and realize there is a chance something may give if I mod it, but it's my damn truck. LMR = Late Model Racecraft according to their website... I think it really stands for Licking Mens Rearends :fart:

Welcome to the site. :cheers:

Time to call a good tuner. I like and use Zippy. There are a number of tuners well known and liked on the site.

I would think that, as long as your compression is good and scheduled maintenance like timing chain has been kept up I would go for it.

Thanks, I've never heard of Zippy. I had previously heard Chucks Tuning is really good, but recently have seen that several people are having issues with him. Anyone have experience using Flaco in Houston?

Are you looking for a "live tune"? (A tuner you can take the truck to)? Zippy would be a mail order transaction. He and other tuners have enough experience with these trucks that the long distance tune is not a bad thing. There is also the possibility of sending computer logs to your tuner to make it easier to dial in the tune.

If your looking for a live tune you might be better off starting a new thread asking for recommendations for tuners in Texas. There are quite a few Texas members on the site. Someone should have advice for you.

Wow thats not a good. I guess they dont need the money. I dont have a SS its a 2001 silverado had CHPSpecial tune mine no problem im at 173k. Haven't seen him in person but his work speeks for him self. i would contact him dose Superb work.

Yeah, I want a live tune. Just in case there are issues I want to be able to go to the guys shop so he can help me troubleshoot the problems. I think I'm gonna check out Flaco in Houston, I'll let you guys know the results! I appreciate the input guys. cheers.gif

I own a 2003 SS with 200k miles, and recently tried contacting LMR to get a tune. They told me my truck has too many miles and wouldn't be interested in working on my truck. Anyone know of a good shop in Houston I can go to? I want to put some work into the truck restoring it and want to make sure the work is done right. My plan right now is to put CAI, Shift Kit, and Corvette Servo as I've read here that those are good initial upgrades. I'm not trying to do anything too crazy, I just want to keep my truck running good. Also, if anyone has experience with a good body shop in town, I'd like to get it repainted and have some interior work done. I appreciate it.

Yeah that's what I thought, he didn't even look at my truck. I keep up with all regular maintenance on the truck and realize there is a chance something may give if I mod it, but it's my damn truck. LMR = Late Model Racecraft according to their website... I think it really stands for Licking Mens Rearends :fart:

Thanks, I've never heard of Zippy. I had previously heard Chucks Tuning is really good, but recently have seen that several people are having issues with him. Anyone have experience using Flaco in Houston?

Too many good tuners in Houston, that it really boils down to what kind of money youre trying to spend and your personal choice.

Honestly LMR wouldn't have been any of my top choices.

There is PowerFab, D3PE, Chucks, Flaco, and so on.

Ive personally worked with PowerFab and those guys are my primary choice, but then again I work on a wide spectrum of cars. D3PE is by far the crème de la crème in the south, but if youre not pushing crazy power, they more than likely advice you to go elsewhere but will do the work if you really want it done. I worked with Chuck on my previous truck, the guy does good work, but I really didn't appreciate his customer service, he wasn't willing to lend a hand without trying to take money out of my pocket, I think he just increased his reputation by exposing a lot of "tooners" in Houston. Flaco, ive always wanted to do work with him on my truck but from what ive heard is hes only doing builds now, and tunes for certain customers.

Good luck, do your research because there are tons of reputable tuners in Houston, as well as lots of horrible ones as well.