Balljoint Flip?

GnatGoSplat

I was just looking at the front suspension yesterday.

It actually looks to me like a lower balljoint flip would actually be better than McGaughy's spindles since it wouldn't require cutting down the upper balljoint nor would it put the CV so close to the upper balljoint. It would also lower the truck more than 2" I think. Maybe closer to 3". I just got to thinking because most cars I've seen have the balljoint and control arm below the spindle while these trucks have it mounted from above.

Has anyone ever heard of doing a balljoint flip to lower the front of these trucks?

I don't think you can flip it because the spindle has is tappered to except the ball joint only 1 direction.

Don't most balljoint flip kits for other vehicles come with some kind of tapered sleeve you insert into the hole? I know it would be necessary to drill out the hole to insert the tapered sleeve so it wouldn't be a simple to reverse, but I don't know how reversible a McGaughy's is since you have to cut down the upper balljoint stud.

I'm not sure about the 2-3" drop guestimate. I'd have to measure to be sure, but I do know the balljoint on these trucks seems rather tall so if it were flipped, the drop would be at least the height of the balljoint.

I did a Belltech spindle kit on my '00 Silverado, it had you drill out the lower control arms balljoint, install a new balljoint upside down and flip the upper control arm. It got a 2-3 inch drop in the front, but like they were saying, the spindle has to balljoint, like the Belltech was designed.

I did a Belltech spindle kit on my '00 Silverado, it had you drill out the lower control arms balljoint, install a new balljoint upside down and flip the upper control arm.  It got a 2-3 inch drop in the front, but like they were saying, the spindle has to balljoint, like the Belltech was designed.

I didn't know Belltech had a spindle kit.

Is it pretty much like what I'm thinking of?

Why do you need to flip the upper control arm?

Not sure what you mean by "the spindle has to balljoint"?

Well... I'm thinking I want to drop my truck sooner or later so I'm 99% sure I'll just get a McGaughy's, but it probably won't be before winter so I have some time to think about other crazy ideas like this one.

You are still going to run in the the problem of the front CV shafts being out of alignment and you are still going to get vibration or binding,

You can do the McG's Drop and that is 2 inches in the spindles, but you cant go mcuh lower with the torson keys before you get vibration or binding. Im sure that it rings true for the ball joint flip as well, If it were only 2wd, then there is not a problem

I just went with drop keys, and it is fine, The only thing you get is a little negative Camber in the front wheels, But it makes it corner better!!!!

Archived