might be time for fresh paint.

crawlinss

so i have had my truck for almost 9 years, and its been awesome. it has about 142,000 on it, and runs like a top, with the exception of check engine light (i think its the evap purge AGAIN), and abs light (im going to look into that tonight). it is still very presentable, normal nicks and scratches, its never been wrecked, but the rear bumper is looking pretty fugly, and the bed could be better. i removed the bed to repaint it last fall, and not only am i not happy with how it turned out overall (very minor imperfections in the bodywork in one spot) and the reason i started the whole ordeal was to get rid of some rust bubbles forming over the passenger side wheelwell. im not sure if maybe the back of the repair did not get sealed well or what, but its back with a vengeance, and i want to repair it again, this time for the rust never to return. ive got the infamous innner/outer rocker rust, but with the SS cladding it isnt visible. i may do the rockers over the winter (now that i got to learn on someone else' car LOL) but for now my question is this:

should i repaint it factory black, or should i do a hot-rod black. i wouldnt consider it being "murdered out", except that i do have blacked out head and taillights. im just unsure of if i really dig the look or not, as flat black is every hack's go-to for a quick rattle can job. i would just hate to put in that much work for it to look stock. i did insurance paint/bodywork for a year, so i know the frustration of no one recognizing a perfect job. i wouldnt be opposed to just doing stripes (like the hockey stick stripes or something). just need some suggestions!

I have seen one flat black SS, and it did look good, and then a regular silverado. The guy that had the normal silverado was asked all the time if he was ever going to get it painted. Everyone thought it was in primer.

Personally, I would go OEM Onyx Black, or go with a whole new paint scheme. I would hate to see you go through all the work that is involved in jamming everything to get low key results from your general audience.

Just a thought.

thats exactly my thought, why go through the trouble of making a great looking stock paint job when I can do something else. it is a 150k mile daily driver, so I don't want to do anything show worthy. just want something nice and different.

I've seen vehicles look pretty good flat back but I think that I would get tired of it before too long.

White is considered by many to be the most forgiving. (Both in prep work for painting, if you don't want to go car show quality, and dirt after the paint job).

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)

I would personally would go to a deeper black.. The OEM Onyx black has both yellow and green toner in it. This makes the color cloudy and brown in direct sun light.

My personal favorite is the Spies Hecker FP-2002 Black. It is super deep with no off color toners. Here is a picture of my 32 ford painted the the FP 2002.

I would stay away from anything eastwood offers. Check out Southern Polyurethanes products. US Made and Barry the owner makes awesome products without the high price tag of the big guys.

20140731_193247_zpscac3b432.jpg

Shameless plug for SPI... Barry took care of me on my 32.

20140614_231821_zps05e8256e.jpg