1-2 shift accumulator spring question

This is on my 2006 so it's RWD, may be a different answer for the AWD guys but I'd like to hear back anyway, from anyone who knows -

If you've been into your trans and pulled the 1-2 accumulator piston & spring, what color spring did you have in there?

Reason I ask, I took mine to the transmission shop today due to an extremely severe 1-2 shift. No CEL so it's not the P1870 / boosted line pressure due to slip issue. Both I and my trans shop buddy expected to find a broken 1-2 accumulator spring.

Got the spring out, it's good, it's smaller than the one he expected to find, and it's green. He replaced it with a heavier spring.

He also pulled down the valve body and found one of the check balls had worn through the separator plate, so he replaced that as well. Kinda surprising at only 80K but whatever. Inside of the pan looked great.

I'm still shifting nice and firm after his work, but thankfully no more "gonna break u-joints" on the 1-2 shift.

Thanks,

Richard

• 2 months later...

A little late. My spring was a light blue. Shouldnt be green. Either Yellow, Orange or Blue.

THe check ball wearing threw the seperater plate is extremely common. Call up GM and order ypurself an updated Plate or even the Trans Go one.