Procharger opinions needed

I'd like to gather some opinions on the p1sc head unit from people that have used one on these trucks.

Reliable?

Ease of install?

What kinda power can I expect?

What supporting mods are needed to get the most from it?

Streetable?

Light towing?

I've done some research and am leaning towards the procharger but not dead set on one. Just seems like the easiest way to get a big improvement in power.

Here is the setup I'm looking at although it is doubtful that it'll be ordered from eBay. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281712546503&globalID=EBAY-US

Details on the truck.

Bone stock 2003 awd with 160,000 miles currently my daily driver but that's gonna change. Miles isn't really a factor as I will be freshening up the engine before adding a forced induction setup.

bac4d8098ca17a9c451da1d6030fc816.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help or direction provided.

Do the D1,you will love it,i had one on mine for 35,000 miles at around 12-15 psi on a stock block and it was a blast! When I pushed it to 17 psi and other mods I started blowing tranny's,decided that a complete drivetrain overhaul was needed to push further.

Do the D1,you will love it,i had one on mine for 35,000 miles at around 12-15 psi on a stock block and it was a blast! When I pushed it to 17 psi and other mods I started blowing tranny's,decided that a complete drivetrain overhaul was needed to push further.

What kind of power were you making at 12-15 psi?

I know you said stock block but what supporting mods were done?

I was in your exact position about 1.5 yrs ago trying to decide on a pro or magna charger. I ended up deciding on a Maggie and it's nothing short of awesome - soo happy with it. One of the deciding factors for me was I wanted to install it myself and wanted a complete system where I didn't have to buy this or that with good instructions - Magnuson has just that if you buy their kit.

I have nothing against a Pro Charger either, just wanted to give another option. Good luck with your decision!

I was in your exact position about 1.5 yrs ago trying to decide on a pro or magna charger. I ended up deciding on a Maggie and it's nothing short of awesome - soo happy with it. One of the deciding factors for me was I wanted to install it myself and wanted a complete system where I didn't have to buy this or that with good instructions - Magnuson has just that if you buy their kit.

I have nothing against a Pro Charger either, just wanted to give another option. Good luck with your decision!

Which model magnacharger did you go with? What kinda power did you end up making? And what supporting mods?

Being able to install it myself would be awesome, kinda help with the sneak attack I'm launching against my buddies LS swapped chevelle. Lol

I went with the TVS 2300. The 1900 comes as a kit for our trucks but you can upgrade to the 2300 for like an extra $600.

Since I'm AWD, I could never dyno it, so I just took her to the track to gauge my mods. Before the blower I had Corsa exhaust, 1-3/4" Dynatech headers, swapped trannies to the 4L80e and had a 3k stall converter...ran a 14.2. Then I added the Maggie and ran a 13.2, Then I added a cam, larger headers to 1-7/8" ARH , ID 1000 injectors, and an 8 rib pulley system - Ran a 12.00. THEN I upgraded my fuel system, switched over to e85 fuel, installed TFS 235 heads and just ran an 11.07 last Sunday with 22" street tires. She'll run 10's as soon as I get some drag radials and can get her to hook better

It's the most streetable truck too, that is until you step on the gas!

Both diffs are stock and holding up fine, but something broke inside my transfer case last weekend so she's under the knife right now getting a replacement.

...and BTW, give Zippy a call to tune your truck if you really want to go fast, lol

• 4 weeks later...

I've had both a P1 and a D1 on my truck and the difference between the two was pretty significant. The P1 made plenty of power and made for a quick truck but the D1 really brought the power on faster, made more boost with less effort and was quite a bit more fun to drive. Now, on the other side of things... To really get the full potential out of a procharger you're going to have to take a few things into consideration. 1. The supplied intercooler, bypass valve and piping setup is for lack of a better word, garbage. The intercooler mounting location and efficiency is pretty terrible. A good front mount intercooler behind the grille will be a massive improvement, but will also require you to route new piping to and from the cooler. The bypass valve that comes with the kits is also a piece of junk, they are known to leak, even when new. Spending the extra money on one of their race valves will be the best thing you can do to one of their kits besides the intercooler setup. Not only does it work extremely well but they sound amazing. 2. Your transmission will definitely need to have some beefing up done. But as many people before you have found out, even the biggest baddest built 60e, 65e, 70e transmission will most likely fail at some point or another if you abuse the shit out of it. If you dont plan to beat the piss out of it daily and run a crazy amount of boost a fully built 60e will probably be fine for street use. I didnt start having transmission problems until I started getting crazy with my truck so I swapped to an 80e to avoid further headaches. Not necessary by any means for everyone, but I for one feel it was a good upgrade in my personal build. Also, a good tranny cooler will help quite a bit. 3. Towing won't be too big of an issue, just don't expect to have the instant torque like you would get out of a roots style blower like a maggie. I towed a heavy ass uhaul car hauler with my fourth gen camaro on it about 3 hours one way and the truck did fine even with the D1, 80e and a failry large converter. With a 65e, I'd try to be as nice to it as possible when towing.

Ultimately, I loved driving my truck with the procharger on it, and they definitely make excellent power. Unfortunately I have no idea what kind of HP or TQ numbers my truck ever made because it's awd and finding an awd dyno with a wheelbase that can fit a full size truck on is not an easy thing to do, even in this giant ass state I live in lol. Now, if I was going to do it all over again I'd probably opt for a tvs2300 like L8ERBRO did with his truck. Maybe its because I've already done the Procharger thing and I'd want to do something different or maybe it's because I feel like the maganchargers are just a bit more maintenance friendly and easier to work with. But either way you decide to go you will see a night and day difference in the truck, just get ready for it to become addicting quickly and you will want more and more. Trust me, been there and done that haha.

Edited by zachm89 (see edit history)