Where to get a front diff.

895c691684e533d6cabc183dde1d8517.jpg

Found a rebuild kit on rockauto for $150 looking at the ring and pinion just in case that's chewed up as well. But I'm guessing I'll need the 4.11s?

Just looking at all my options before I dive into the $800 new diff. Considering if I do take that option im gonna do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I wasn't there so not sure if it was aluminum or steel that's just what he said. But if it has a magnetic drain plug and its spewing out of the fluid I would imagine it's pretty bad. For sure doing a full rebuild. May consider just getting a new one and swapping it myself but time for me is really tough.

Yea, if it's spewing fluid that sounds to me like case damage.

Rebuilds seem to average around $1,100.00. (Mine ran a little more). My thinking is that brand new for $400.00 more is a deal. (The $1500 you mentioned).

Hope Alan's link works out for you. That sounds like a good deal. Best luck.

I'm getting up some money for one now I just got a new transfer case from the dealer but they don't offer a front diff anymore this was the best price I could find on a reman diff even Ebay ones were in the $1200.00 price range and I personally would rather deal direct with whoever is doing the work I can't wait much longer as I'm feeling like mine is running on borrowed time at 170,000 miles feels like it's got a lot of play and axle seals are leaking so it's time after that my whole drivetrain will be brand new for the first time since 2002-2003 ready for the next decade of hard driving

Best of luck on your search

Lmao I have have 171k !! Transfer case is also new. Looks like we're going down the same path. Coming from someone who had a cummins before this and several other trucks(all chevy of course) I love this truck. And the money it's costing me is not a bother at all. Best of luck to you as well!

Ps happy thanksgiving everyone

• 2 weeks later...

Dad sent me these. Guess this is what I'm workin with. Says it smells like a portapotty warehouse up in flames lol. Should I even rebuild it or just go with another new one from that website for $950. I plan to keep the truck for a good while and tow with it as well.

a24cc1bb925faa0ae97b593ed2b8483b.jpg28019d0bc81810758a0bc59c93ca4cd5.jpg

I'm personally going with a new one and saving my old one to rebuild and swap after the next 170,000 miles so I can just swap it out and be back on the road same day no down time but yours is already out but remember a rebuilt one is only as good as the guy rebuilding it

Yea the guys good he's always hooked my dad up, only issue is what I've come across now. Apparently there's some bearing races that were shot. The rebuild kit brought them but they're not big enough either. I would imagine I can order over sized ones? Anyone have some insight on this? Here are some pics

c0e15d85bc2d1d21bda9608b01e40134.jpgf46913b16c783b6dce67c8db8d81c35e.jpg

He says it just slides in and out.

And then here are the bearings as well, shot!edb8a3e59ca16c5e0321d4cf6723a73c.jpg

Worse part about all this is im nowhere near the truck so forgive me if I'm not giving enough info, I barely have it myself. I'm caught up with work and take night classes so haven't been able to step in and take a look. Wish I had the time to do it my damn self would of done same, buy another and rebuild this one for when the new one goes bad.

I'm trying to figure something out. I brought the half diff to work to have it welded and machined. But a buddy of mine says that it may have to slide in there like that and the pressure of everything tightened up keeps everything in place d the race won't spin.

1490129f259ebdb86e894e5cad1fcc77.jpg

It's pretty decently tight but still spins around and I can take it out easily.

639c91018c6d84bc173a0b939da16454.jpg

70a38c8254179c04ff2119692cbb290d.jpg

After I cleaned it up the space got worse. The tapered roller bearing ring just slides right in and out

How does the opposite side (other half of the case) bearing race fit? I don't remember how tight mine where, but with the case being cracked it may of relieved some of the press fit. Second to remove that bearing there is a locking tang on the other side that needs bent out of the way then it just threads out (might need some persuasion). Before doing that first somehow mark the ring on each side of the tang so that you know which slot the tang was in. Then count the number of turns to thread that adjuster out. Keep track of the information to help setup the diff when you are ready to re-assemble it. Because these 2 races (one on each side of the carrier) are designed to slide they are not going to have a lot of press. They side so that you can get the proper contact with the pinion.

I figured it out it was pressed in. I also found a machine shop they're gonna take care of it. They've had similar jobs like it before. Should be getting it back by tommorow then rebuild kit goes in. Hoping to have the truck back before the end of this year !

• 2 weeks later...

So other side is now cracked as well. Gonna need machining too. I may just opt out for a new diff. But I also found a local parts truck same year SS but it's a 2wd and has a fresh rebuilt trans. May just jump and make mine a 2wd instead. Relieve myself of this front diff madness!