Looking at an SS. Need advice on used model modifications

mizzac

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I messaged him but no response. Judging from all the mods however, im starting to wonder if the transmission hasn't been upgraded as well.

If there a simple way I could see if it has been upgraded to an 4L80 vs the 4L60? Some sort of serial or vin on the transmission I could look for?

Very easy to tell by the pan shape and number of bolts.

700R4/4L60/4L60E/4L65E all from the same basic family; the pan is almost square and has 16 bolts.

4L80E is more obviously a rectangle with a rounded off rear corner, and 17 bolts.

Pics etc.: http://www.maliburacing.com/auto_tranny_id.htm

Richard

finally got in touch with the guy. Yea it is a 4L60 (or 65) but its been built a little bit. Pretty new as well. Went to test drive it today, and of course we had to have a big snow storm, walked in and the guy told me its "on hold" for a guy who was waiting for a check from the bank so he will call me Wednesday to let me know if its gone.

Said he might have a stock one with around 70-80k coming next week so maybe good things will still come from it. I'll be sure to let you know how thigns go either way.

Thanks again for all the help fellas (and ladies) I truly appreciate it.

Well little update.

The truck didn't sell to that guy. So today I went over it, and tomorrow will be test driving it.

Apparently previous owner didn't like that the AC wasn't working which brings up a few questions.

The guages stick (which I know is a common issue).

The aftermarket sunroof isn't currently working (not a deal breaker and they said they would look into it).

Started right up, even after sitting, probably needs a better battery though. They said it has had issues with the batter if it sits for 4-5 days.

Needs fron ball joint.

Back to the AC issue. They said the compressor is working because the defroster works perfect. The high pressure switch is giving the correct amount of ohms when tested. They said they did some research and are led to belive that is has to do with the the tune? I can't remember what brand or type they said. Anyone have any experience in this area?

I'll try to post some photos of it as well, it seems pretty clean, and I will be overlooking reciepts on a new performance transmission they put in it tomorrow.

Also noticed the intercooler is mounted horizontally in the front bumper. Never seen one like that before.

Well just got a call from the dealership. Apparently, even after telling me yesterday he would hold the vehicle for me, the dealership sold it to the guy who had been looking at it before me. He had said he didn't want it, and then apprently showed up with the money today.

Not very happy about it, considering he had his opportunity and passed on it. I may go down there and tell the manager I am not pleased. I'll be sure to let them know I won't ever b e doing future business with them if they can't keep there word for even a day.

So on that note, guess I'll keep shopping for the right SS hidden somewhere with low miles and owned by some old fellow. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Sucks, but no real loyalty with anybody selling a vehicle, whether dealership new/used or an individual. These kinds of sales go sideways so often that the best policy is take the money from the person holding it in front of you. Not trying to sound harsh but seriously, people change their minds constantly and if you don't do the deal right now, then who knows when the next one is coming along - that applies to both seller and buyer.

It sounds like that one had a lot of misc. issues, some that could be a pain to figure out. I don't buy the A/C problem being related to the tune, not one bit, and it's surprising that the seller would try to characterize it that way. It's got how many miles and needs a ball joint? If it needs one, it needs them all - one failing is just a sign the others and likely other related parts are on their way out, too. Aftermarket sunroof with issues would scare me, who knows if you can get parts or information on it.

Richard

Yea I understand how it goes. Is just frusterating that no one can keep their word anymore. The least he could have done was lgive me a chance to purchase it before this guy since he was holding it personally for me.

Your right on the issues, and that is why I was waiting until today so I had more time to test it and really dig into what the true issue could be.

O well, maybe its a blessing in disguise, I test drove a wrx and evo last night at another dealership so always other options for my weekend warrior. Just a bum deal either way.

Personally, I would consider it a blessing in disguise...

Aftermarket sunroof not working means it probally needs replacement.

AC not working could be anything from $100-$1000

Suspension as mentioned above. 1 ball joint is a sign it will need major work in the near future.

The Pass side valve cover looks to be leaking out of the valve cover bolt area

I agree with people above. There is a reason it ended up at some little used car dealer in the middle of no where. My guess is a dealer wholesale it due to the laundry list of problems. If it was that much of a cream puff they would have kept it.

Personally, I would consider it a blessing in disguise...

Aftermarket sunroof not working means it probally needs replacement.

AC not working could be anything from $100-$1000

Suspension as mentioned above. 1 ball joint is a sign it will need major work in the near future.

The Pass side valve cover looks to be leaking out of the valve cover bolt area

That's how I've been looking at it. I'm in no rush to purchase something, I have my work vehicle and a modified 4runner for my weekend warrior right now. I can take my time and be extremely picky until I find the perfect one.