Tough question on an Intimidator SS

someotherguy

OK, some of y'all know I picked up an Intimidator SS from the salvage auction, with a crunched bed/tailgate/bumper. It's scheduled to hit the body shop hopefully next month, and I have kind of a tough decision to make.

Should I cash up for the replacement Intimidator scripts ($300+) or leave them off, and just do the regular SS emblems that go next to the scripts - placing them in the "plain" SS positions?

My motivation isn't simply the cash outlay as that's pennies compared to what I'm getting ready to spend repairing and repainting the whole truck, it's more that I hate spending that on emblems I don't really like. I dig the ISS wing, grille color difference (kinda), but not exactly an Earnhardt fan so the "Intimidator" script, DEI logo headrests, and his signature on the cluster don't exactly turn my gears. Headrests are an easy swap if I really want to bother, and the gauge cluster doesn't bother me so it can stay.

The truck is a salvage title so it's not like I'm really hurting the value of a rare vehicle. Plus, it could always easily be "fixed" later by anyone who wanted to apply the correct emblems to it.

Thoughts?

Richard

p.s. please note this is NOT a hint that I'm interested in selling any of the ISS-specific parts; if I take them off I will keep them in case I sell the truck later. Thanks

Edited by someotherguy (see edit history)

You sound about like me. I love drag racing, but I really don't much care for Nascar. Dale Earnhardt, though a legend in racing, does nothing for me either. You do you brother. That is what it is about anyway.

Leave them off. From a collector stand point, its been "deflowered" by the salvage title. The VIN will prove its a real ISS if you go to sell it, and the buyer wants proof its not a clone.

^^^^ I agree with above... I also at one point thought of getting an ISS but I was going to remove all the ISS stuff and save like your thinking of doing. All that badging doesn't float my boat either. Its your truck do what you want to it, If someone wants to "restore" let the next guy worry about it.

I stressed over it far more than the subject deserved. When it came down to it, knowing I'm getting closer to the truck going in for body/paint, I said F it and bought all the emblems. Even at the cheapest place I could find them, I've got nearly $740 in the scripts and SS's. I know the old SS emblems probably could be re-used, but after throwing a top quality paint job on the truck I don't see any sense in cheaping out re-using the old emblems.

Oh, well. By the time it's finished, it'll be the sharpest salvage title ISS out there. :D

Richard

• 1 month later...

As an owner of a SSI, and a fan of Dale Earnhardt I chip in the following:

That truck is an homage to the legacy of one of the greatest and most charismatic drivers in the history of the sport. Although not as bespoke as the vehicles Dale Earnhardt had customized for his fan down in his dealership in Newton, NC most notably the last one he commissioned( 2001 Camaro Intimidator SS) the Silverado SS Intimidator was inspired directly by the 2001 Camaro SSI.

His signature in in the cluster is a direct nod to the SS Intimidator Camaro, the script on the side is also such as well as the plaque in the dash.

All in all, every SSI is in my opinion a rolling tribute to the man who earned the nickname "The Intimidator" by his driving style. To take that off at least in my humble opinion is wrong, simply because the whole reason why the SSSI's styling is the way it is, is indeed directly due to the history of the man who's name is on it.

all that said however, it's your truck and it's your right what to do with it, I think we all support you in whatever you choose.