PCM Installed, Check Engine Light On

LUVINMYSS

I jsut installed a PCM from Bryan @ PCMForLess on Wednesday. Everything was working great. My only mods to date or flowmaster 50 series and K&N air filter in the stock air box. Tonight, Friday, my check engine light came on. I'm running 93 octane fuel as I always do so I don't know what the problem would be. Should I be worried or do anyone have any advice.

you might have to have a crankshaft relearn performed if you just changed the tune. i had to do it after 6 different tunes. i took it to the dealer and they said this is normal, you should have to do this after each new tune.

ok so while were on the subject of tuines, how does it work? do you have to take out the pcm and send it in and than wait for bryan to send it back to you? your truckless for a week or 2? does he send you someone elses?

i need to know cause im getting my shift kit and a tune this week

if it was due to the crank sensor needing to be relearned, you would be in reduced power mode. also you have have the crank ensor relarened anyways. my tune was knocking at high rpm, i finally relearned the crank sensor at work yesterday and it seems to have gone away.

Note: The CASE (Crank Angle Sensor Error) learn is only needed if you change the whole PCM from the stock one to a new one. Or if you change the crankshaft in some way (stroker kit, possibly with a piston swap).

If you just have your original PCM reprogrammed (with tuning software or a handheld), the CASE learn should not be needed. Also, it is not needed after each reprogram of the same PCM, only once after a new PCM is installed.

:cheers:

Actually the crank relearn only seems to be needed in about 3-5% of PCM's, even though they are not the same as came in the truck. All the custom tuners, Wester's, Nelson's or PCMsforless all send a different pcm when you mail order a tune. Lyndon Wester sees only about a 3-5% rate of needing the relearn, I would guess Brian and Allen are about the same? Chime in guys, I'm curious if you see the same!

On my way to autozone yesterday eve, I stopped to fill up the tank (amazing how that first tank goes so quickly since I had to test the tune ). As soon as I started the engine after fill up, the check engine light went out. I'm guessing that I had a bad tank of gas. It hasn't been on again since. Should I add any type of additive since there is probably still 1/4 tank of poor petro mixed with the new stuff? Thanks for all the help

Actually the crank relearn only seems to be needed in about 3-5% of PCM's, even though they are not the same as came in the truck. All the custom tuners, Wester's, Nelson's or PCMsforless all send a different pcm when you mail order a tune. Lyndon Wester sees only about a 3-5% rate of needing the relearn, I would guess Brian and Allen are about the same? Chime in guys, I'm curious if you see the same!

Yes, I see the same thing with my tunes. Sometimes guys are nervous to take the truck to GM with a tuned PCM in it so I also offer to them that they can send me their original and I can program it and there will not be any relearns necessary and then they can send the first one I programmed for them back as a core return so they still will have no downtime.

Thanks,

Bryan

Archived