Running Boards or A Step ???????????

shopman1

:confused: I know that many of the SS owners say NO to running boards however, I'm not that tall and I am looking for a way to get out to the SS without sliding down the driverseat left side. I know in a year it will be beat! So, I say a very cool step called the (Sidewinder by KODIAK). It is a retractable step! Very Cool :cool::cool: Now the bad news appears to be :cry: that due to the cladding or the larger rocker pannel we cant use it. They feel that most of the step will be hidden and you may not be able to get you foot on it easily when exiting. Not sure I like the stationary steps. I also like the Stull stainless tapered running board however not sure that will fit the SS. Any ideas out there???

Each to his own Shopman, if you want a running board or retractable step----go for it. You bought the SS for your own use and what everybody else thinks doesn't matter :thumbs: If it suits your style you might consider lowering the SS a couple of inches ;) Anyway you go, GOODLUCK :thumbs:

Each to his own Shopman, if you want a running board or retractable step----go for it. You bought the SS for your own use and what everybody else thinks doesn't matter :thumbs: If it suits your style you might consider lowering the SS a couple of inches ;) Anyway you go, GOODLUCK :thumbs:

:rolleyes: Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for exceptance. I'm trying to find out if anyone else has put the Sidewinder on the SS or has put running boards on the ss and what problems they have had as well as what they installed. It seems like every time I decide to go with somthing the manufacturer tells me it will not go on the SS. This is not a killer problem just looking for comments from others. :thumbs:

i personaly think the sidewinder would be the best if you can get it to work, i personaly don't think the running boards or nerf bars would look cool. i dont even know if nerf bars would work because they bolt straight to the frame. just my opinion. :thumbs::flag::chevy:

I was thinking about something like that too. I am 5' 11" and I find my self sliding my butt of the edge of the seat as I drop to the ground and was wondering how hard that was going to be on the seat after a few years.

I looked up the installation instructions and it looks like it bolts to the frame (on the right) and the body (on the left) right where the cladding attaches from the outside. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

sidewinder.jpg

I went to the truck accessory toy store and they had one on display, you could push the button and watch it do it's thing. Looks well built and solid. I think it could be installed. At the worst, some improvising on the lip mounting would be needed. I just don't know if it will help much. Took some rough measurements from the display model (it was the 8" model, not the 12" model) and the step winds up being about 4" above the ground when it is down. And looking at where I want to put a foot when getting out of the truck, it seems like I should step on the door sill, not 8" lower. Oh, well.

I also noticed they sell "SVT F-150" and "Lightning" emblems. Hmmm...a Chevy SVT F-150 Lightning SS... that would sure get me some funny looks :jester:

Archived