Holy Shit!!!

TexaSS

the thing that really irritates me is that these guys are not only basketball players and atheletes...but they are look up at by children and young adults...

where the NBA went wrong...and the NFL...they are letting criminals control their sport. i can't remember the exact statistic...but i believe it was over 50% of the players in the NBA...similar percentage in NFL as well...have been convicted of crimes...

i can't think of any other job in the world...besides leader of a middle east nation...where you can be a criminal and make so much damn money...we are feeding into these idiots everday. next idiot that wants to make a name for himself is going to go stomping up into the stands...pretty stupid.

i say they weed out all the worthless criminals...fill their places with people that have worked hard their entire life...lived by the laws and given back to society without having a debt to it...that way you get people that want to play ball...people that are playing because they love the sport..not because they want a free ride through life...or so that they can start a record company to produce their entire friggin family and so all those untallented idiots can make millions...

just think...right now, these atheletes are making so much money...that in 20-40 years..they are going to be part of the old money in this country...mentioned in the same breath as kennedy's and rockafellas...prolly not...but after 50-60, they just might be..

but then again...we can hope that they all just go broke...which i bet half will...but that doesn't help much cause the only people that are gonig to be making money off of them are jewlers...and agents...and that isn't adding to an already bad problem now is it.. :dunno:

if i knew it would have been this much trouble...i would have picked my own damn cotton

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the thing that really irritates me is that these guys are not only basketball players and atheletes...but they are look up at by children and young adults...

where the NBA went wrong...and the NFL...they are letting criminals control their sport. i can't remember the exact statistic...but i believe it was over 50% of the players in the NBA...similar percentage in NFL as well...have been convicted of crimes...

i can't think of any other job in the world...besides leader of a middle east nation...where you can be a criminal and make so much damn money...we are feeding into these idiots everday. next idiot that wants to make a name for himself is going to go stomping up into the stands...pretty stupid.

i say they weed out all the worthless criminals...fill their places with people that have worked hard their entire life...lived by the laws and given back to society without having a debt to it...that way you get people that want to play ball...people that are playing because they love the sport..not because they want a free ride through life...or so that they can start a record company to produce their entire friggin family and so all those untallented idiots can make millions...

just think...right now, these atheletes are making so much money...that in 20-40 years..they are going to be part of the old money in this country...mentioned in the same breath as kennedy's and rockafellas...prolly not...but after 50-60, they just might be..

but then again...we can hope that they all just go broke...which i bet half will...but that doesn't help much cause the only people that are gonig to be making money off of them are jewlers...and agents...and that isn't adding to an already bad problem now is it.. :dunno:

if i knew it would have been this much trouble...i would have picked my own damn cotton

I might offend some people with this post, but this is getting rediculous.

Artest made himself look like a Total ass, but so did those detroit fans.

Of course these guys are overpaid (way overpaid), but what are they supposed to do? Turn the money down? Just because these athletes are making millions doesn't make them any different than us (in a good or bad way). There normal people with normal problems just like everybody else. They just happen to be on national tv, so when they F$%# up everybody see's it. I see people like Ron Artest every single day. There's idiots out there everywhere you look doing stupid sh!t just like him. What he did was stupid, but those fans where just as bad as him.

Im not trying to defend Ron Artest at all, but this sh!t gets on my nerves when people start catagorizing all athletes as dumb criminals. Over 50% of the NBA and NFL are convicted criminals? Give me a F#*%(@ break. That's BS!!! You just sound jealous and pissed of beacuse you never made it. Im sure the world would be a better place if kids and young adults looked up to Racists like you. Get over getting cut from your high school team and stop being a hipocret. If you want better role models out there for kids then stop acting like an ass and think about the things you say. Deal with your own problems before criticizing everybody else.

WHOA! Adam... how ya been man? Tell us how you really feel. :jester:

I agree w/ you that the fans are just as much to blame as the pros... but I would expect that for the millions that Artest is paid he could control himself a little better. I don't in anyway condone the actions of the fans, but if Artest hadn't jumped into the stands the entire thing wouldn't have happened. It was ugly all the way around... Artest got what he deserved and the NBA is using the television footage to ID & track down everyone of the fans that were a part of this as they should... the athletes weren't the only ones to blame.

It doesn't matter how much he is getting paid. Money does not equal self control. Also I don't think you can pin this on JUST Artest...there were way too many people involved to do that.

:eek::nono::ughdance:

Im not trying to defend Ron Artest at all, but this sh!t gets on my nerves when people start catagorizing all athletes as dumb criminals.  Over 50% of the NBA and NFL are convicted criminals?  Give me a F#*%(@ break.  That's BS!!!  You just sound jealous and pissed of beacuse you never made it.  Im sure the world would be a better place if kids and young adults looked up to Racists like you.  Get over getting cut from your high school team and stop being a hipocret.  If you want better role models out there for kids then stop acting like an ass and think about the things you say.  Deal with your own problems before criticizing everybody else.

i already made it...in the real world. had fun playing sports as a child and through high school but i knew i wasn't going to make a life of it...never got cut from anything either...

Link to stats

and maybe before you go dismissing stats...try looking them up. couldn't find a link to the NFL one...but there are certainly a lot of recent articles regarding the NBA as of late...

call me a racist all you want..when these people stop playing into their stereotypes - i'll change my mind.

and yes...it would be great if the majority of their people...would start holding the minority of their people accountable for their actions...

you have no idea the life that i have lived..the things that i have seen...just as i know nothing of you...but my view on such people are based on my own personal experience..i would love to feel otherwise, i truely would...

but i believe it was over 50% of the players in the NBA...similar percentage in NFL as well...have been convicted of crimes...

that seems a little bit unrealistic to me

as of the 2001-2002 season...40% of NBA players had a crinimal record involving serious crime...

can't find the NFL stats..the only ones that are poping up when searching are NBA mainly due to this past weekends antics...

Ryan:

That stat is true, but you have to remember it doesn't differentiate the type of crimes (felony and misdermeanors) and to be honest you'd have a hard time finding a person now a days who doesn't have a crimial record if thats your basis for a 'criminal'.... sh*t! In that case I'm a criminal :D

It simplifies the percentage into "serious crimes" but never gives it a defintion. Is a serious crime a DUI or weapons possesion? Is it a rape or murder?

Also take into consideration the amount of false allegations against athletes by women who are looking for nothing more than a pay day (i.e. Kobe Bryant) This is not to say that some of the charges are legitamit, but you have to look at both sides and not all athletes are guilty all of the time.

I don't discount that there is a pretty substantial percentage of pro athletes today that have criminal records, but 40% is an exxageration of a statistic, made to make it look worse than it is in order to sell a book IMHO.

I don't discount that there is a pretty substantial percentage of pro athletes today that have criminal records, but 40% is an exxageration of a statistic, made to make it look worse than it is in order to sell a book IMHO.

granted the stat was from a review of a book...but if you search you can find more sources of the same information...

and yes...a lot of people file suits against these people looking for a payday..but i gaurantee you there is a greater number os suits that get dropped because the player and their handlers decide it would be better to pay someone off than go through court and such...

i gaurantee you there is a greater number os suits that get dropped because the player and their handlers decide it would be better to pay someone off than go through court and such...

I also have a problem w/ that. If you press charges against someone (athlete or not) and are willing to drop criminal charges for monetary compensation was there ever really a crime? A woman who is rapped would want justice in a criminal proceeding and then seek monetary compensation in a civil trial. When they settle out of court or drop the charges its almost like admitting they have no real case against the person... its no different than extortion.

For a perfect example we can look at the recent Bill O'Riley fiasco... the woman asked for $60million and then settled for $3 million (reportedly) No crimial charges were filed... just a money motivated civil suit that the plantiff knew was an easy payoff. :smash:

Man...I live here...saw it live :(

In the new millenium:

Ron Artest is Dennis Rodman with an O.J. Simpson temper .

I really have gotten to the point that I don't watch much of the professional ball& stick sports because of just this type of incident. These guys get paid big money to play what we all learned young, are kids' games. Lebron James' little fit last year during the all-star game comes to mind. He's a rookie and feels he should be treated as a veteran superstar. Give me a break.

Artest will probably be put on waivers or released from the remainder of his contract at the end of the season. He probably won't get picked up by any NBA team after this. I can't see any GM with a brain giving him another chance.

This will give Artest plenty of time to produce his rap albums, find new artists, develop a incredible drug habit that would make Rick James faint and die an uneventful death next to the porcelain throne, making Elvis proud.

I think David Stern was correct in suspending Artest for the season. Steve Jackson strikes me as a thug wannabe, and wasted no time getting in the stands. He got what he deserved as well. Jermaine O'Neal did surprise me as I thought he was more of a class act. As far as fans on the court wanting some action, I think they got what they deserved as well. No player should go into the stands after a fan, or vice versa. Your ticket only gives you a seat to watch a sporting event. I have YET to understand where fans think their courtside seats allow them to be part of the event (e.g. Spike Lee)

I'll stick to motorsports

They seem to understand the team concept

Just my $.02

Archived