Volant problems and possible fix

SSThunder

After reading many threads on the volant problem, I ask for possible solution. One was to add weather stripping to the top of the air box to give it a better seal. This was really simple and easy to do and seems to give the box a better seal. Has anyone else tried this or other fixes?

One problem I read about in other post was about the box pulling in warm or hot air from the engine. Was this from the side of the box? I have the scoop on mine so I don't have to worry about that. After looking over the box, I noticed that the top plate wasn't making good contact with the box. The thin seal provided on the top plate doesn't seal the box the way that it should. You have to be very careful how you tighten the 4 screws. Over tighten and the top plate rises in the middle on the sides.

I was thinking about cutting the bottom of the box completely out and sealing off the side. I had an open element on my '00 Silverado and by doing this it will give it the look of a box with the effects of an open filter. This was something I was thinking about the other night and have not done yet, the only thing stopping me is actually cutting the overpriced Volant system. :banghead:

Can't say I've ever had a problem w/ the seal around the top of the box... I guess weather stripping would work, but you'd probably need to get some longer screws for the lid. To be honest my lid makes a perfect seal around the opening. :dunno:

Not sure why my box doesn't seal right. I'll have to check to see what size weather stripping I used. I didn't have to go with a longer screw. I've heard the new box works a lot better(more HP) so I might end up just getting that. I hate to buy a new box 3 or 4 months after a purchase, but it will give me piece of mind. Thanks

Archived