Street & Strip

fmdog44

Just curious about what performance modifications are available on the market for SS truck owners. I ask because I bought an 04 Hemi and there is no programmer, no chip, no nuttin. I also read the chip is soldered to the computer body so there will NEVER be a chip. Also, now I read there may never be a supercharger available. The reason is the piston will crack under the increased pressure. Dodge has done an excellent job of keeping their semi-fast truck just "semi". Are you folks in the same boat?

Just curious about what performance modifications are available on the market for SS truck owners. I ask because I bought an 04 Hemi and there is no programmer, no chip, no nuttin. I also read the chip is soldered to the computer body so there will NEVER be a chip. Also, now I read there may never be a supercharger available. The reason is the piston will crack under the increased pressure. Dodge has done an excellent job of keeping their semi-fast truck just "semi". Are you folks in the same boat?

check out these,all have hemi parts.

http://www.krcperformance.com/newcontent/home.html

http://www.southeastrt.com/linecard/index.php

Physically changing the chip is not done much these days. Most "chips" are soldered in. What you do is reprogram the flash memory with a laptop PC and some (expensive) specialized software. Or do an exchange deal with a tuner that has the software ( I assume this is possible with the Dodge computers as well).

I seem to recall reading that Dodge changed their computer between 03 and 04, so a lot of 03 Hemi guys are stuck with an odd-ball computer that probably won't get any aftermarket attention. Fortunately you have an 04, so you have the newer computer. There is also the problem of Dodge not being very helpful in letting the aftermarket have access to the programming of their computers, so it may take some time for it to be cracked. Also, STS is supposed to be coming out with a turbo for the Hemi. But given the track record of forced induction promises for the Hemi, I would be a bit cynical too.

Compared to what is available for the Hemi, we GM folks have an embarrassingly large amount of aftermarket options :thumbs:

Archived