Shifting/Drivability Question

JNorthstar

I am currently talking with three dealers about purchasing one, and plan on driving one this next week. My question has to do with the transmission. Does it shift aggressively? What I am asking is, does it lock up in 3rd and 4th gear, and shift down immediately when stepped on, or does it lock up stubbornly only downshifting when pressed hard.

I have a 01 Monte Carlo SS and the torque converter locks up strongly, and won't downshift or unlock the torque converter from 3rd or 4th unless I really get on it.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am use to the auto/manual shifting in my STS that will hold a gear until i manually shift and will downshift at will.

I found the SS would downshift quite readily when driving aggressively. Almost too readily for my tastes, not taking advantage of it’s mid range power as much as I would like. Many times I would rather stay in the current gear and not have the delay of downshifting. Keep in mind, that with some work with a program like LS1Edit, you could tune it to your tastes.

Now that I have the supercharger it is another story… :D

Archived