A Nasty film on my paint. I hate AK roads!

SSAlaska

Fellas, I am having a problem. I live in Alaska, Its a nightmare to keep it clean in the winter time. :banghead: There is no way really for me to hand wash my truck. So I bring it to a powerwasher type place first to knock off all the heavy dirt and grime, Then I go to a drive thru car wash (Touchless, Just High Pressure Water). Well the other day I went through my usual routine, Expecting her to be all clean maybe a water spot or two. I noticed a nasty, grimey film on the sides and front of the truck. Before winter hit I applied several coats of wax, Paint felt slick and smooth. Now its coarse and looks like shit. :puke: I have heard people talk about chemicals they put on the road to slow icing and what not. What I need to know is how do I SAFELY get this shit of my baby. :dunno: I am thinking I might have to bite the bullet and some how hand wash it outside. Or got to one of the drive thru powerwasher places in the middle of the night and hand wash it, No one around to catch me. But is it safe to rub on this shit with a wash mit? :dunno: Is there something I can spray on it to loosen it up? I really dont want to damage my paint, I already have some light swirle marks from when my EX took it to get it washed. But I am confident that a good treatment with the whole zaino process clay bar, polishes, the whole deal will take care of that come spring. :thumbs: Right now my concern is the grime and getting it off. Any help would be appreciated. :flag:

we have those chemicals here in MN to de-ice stuff. i have never had grime on my truck from that. i have had grime from excess wax though...best thing to do is go hand wash it in the evening. i need to do that next weekend. haven't washed mine in weeks. looks grey now...not a bad color either for the SS...

Those touchless car washes do not get the scum off. You can run it through them several times and the scum is still there. Don't you know of someone that has a garage or shop that you can pull it in and give it a good hand washing? If you don't, there are probably some detail shops that would do a basic hand wash for you too.

That film is a combination of the stuff you picked up on the road and the 'touchless carwash' chemicals. Those things have a ton of crap in them that just deposits on your paint.

Best thing to do is hand wash and claybar your truck. Its a pain, but you shouldn't have to do it more than twice a year unless you want to.

1) Wash with a 'strip-wash' to take off any loose gunk on the paint. If you can't find a 'strip-wash' then dish soap will work... but its not recommended.

2) Use a claybar on all your painted surfaces. This will take out any impurities stuck to the paint. You don't have to go expensive on this part b/c they're all about the same. I use DER Stuff, Zaino has one, and Mothers California Gold is good too.

3) Rewash the truck to get rid of the stuff the clay removed from the paint.

4) Use a multi-step polish and sealer. These are almost always acrylic based. (Silicone and Carnuba based waxes suck and don't last nearly as long) This will require you to apply a polishing coat... remove that... then apply a sealer coat. The sealer can be applied multiple times... its like building up a clear coat of acrylic over your clear coat paint.

Acrylics are like teflon for your paint. Stuff won't stick as easy and if it does it will come off w/ little to no effort. :thumbs:

You can find complete systems so you don't have to find the seperate parts. I personally use DER Stuff, Zaino is awesome (BUT EXPENSIVE!), and MacGuires has a line of acrylic based stuff now.

Good luck! I know what youre dealing with... I used to own a mobile detailing company and the film that builds up from sh*tty washes gets annoying.

Today I called around to a few of the local detail shops, I asked them how they get the grime off. I was told that they use brake and carb cleaner. :crazy: There is no way I am going to allow A SOLVENT like that to be sprayed on my truck. So I think I am going to spray it down with simple green, Pressure wash it off, And use a zaino or DER stuff product. I found out the auto hobby shop on base has a wash rack that you can rent, I cant wait to tell them I need it for the day. :crackup: Righ now I am just debating the timing. Wish me luck fellas, I hope I can get her shine back. :flag:

As I'm sure most people here will agree Zaino is absolutely the BEST stuff out there... its up to you if you want to spend that much. I have used DER Stuff for years and have no complaints. Its cheaper and does a damn good job. :thumbs:

Today I called around to a few of the local detail shops, I asked them how they get the grime off. I was told that they use brake and carb cleaner. :crazy:  There is no way I am going to allow A SOLVENT like that to be sprayed on my truck. 

NOTE TO SELF: Never have my truck detailed in Alaska. :banghead:

Has anyone done a full zaino detail in a day? I would like to apply 3 coats. Is it possible?

Im sure you could if you got up early and worked on it all day. I did 4 coats on my dad's Vette in one day... 7am to 9:30pm :crazy:

I did it for trade-out... got to drive the C6 for a weekend... WORTH EVERY BACK BREAKING HOUR I SPENT ON IT! :D

Zaino can be done (3 coats) in one day if the accelerator is used. Curing time will be longer in cooler climates though, so 3 may be pushing it.

Also, Zaino recommends the use of Dawn to strip off all old wax, prior to the use of the clay bar. You need to wash with Dawn, claybar, then wash with Zaino's wash. After that, you're ready to go for your coats of polish. I would do at least 2. If you get their kit, you'll have all you need. A little expensive to buy all at once, but not much more expensive than buying good products individually.

Today I called around to a few of the local detail shops, I asked them how they get the grime off. I was told that they use brake and carb cleaner. :crazy:  There is no way I am going to allow A SOLVENT like that to be sprayed on my truck.  So I think I am going to spray it down with simple green, Pressure wash it off, And use a zaino or DER stuff product.  I found out the auto hobby shop on base has a wash rack that you can rent, I cant wait to tell them I need it for the day.  :crackup:  Righ now I am just debating the timing. Wish me luck fellas, I hope I can get her shine back.  :flag:

Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard and really bad advice. If you use the simple green mix it with water to dilute it slightly full strenght can be pretty harsh on the paint. The clay bar is always a good idea and an acrylic paint protection is good advice also. Good luck and dont freeze.

For clients vehicles this is the process I use to clean the vehicle...

Hand Wash (Z7 or Zymol)

Clay (Sonus)

Hand Wash (Quick and easy wash in a spray bottle)

Paintwork Cleanser (Sonus or P21S... these are similar to a polish, but they don't last and make a great base for zaino)

Poorboys World Polish (EX or EX-P depending on color and what the customer wants)

Wax (varies greatly depending on shade and customers desires)

My truck...

Soap, Rinse, Spot free at the car wash (to get the large grime off)

Hand Wash (Z7)

Clay (Sonus or Clay Magic)

Hand Wash (Quick and Easy Wash)

Paintwork Cleanser (Sonus)

Z1

Z5

Z6

Z2

Z6

I don't think you'll have too much of a problem with scratching as long as you add a little extra soap, and change wash cloths often. If the vehicle is real bad, I probably wouldn't reuse the cloth.

Archived