LS1 to LS6 Valley Cover Conversion

BenKey

Jeff, I figure you must have had this done if the spot in your valve cover where we all have a PCV, you have a breather. I may be wrong. But, if so, could you take a couple of pics. Can't find any pics on LS1tech website.

I am looking at doing this conversion. I know that I need to get the different cover and grind on the block some underneath to make room, but would really like to "see" how and where the PCV venting takes place. There is a coolant piece needed also. Most of the LS1 guys have done this conversion in order to cut down on oil consumption and suction into the intake.

When I installed my Comp Pro Mag rockers I had to grind away the PCV valley in the driver's side valve cover and as you might expect, I did, I am now sucking a lot of oil into the intake. So bad so that when I took off my intake and set it up on the TB end, I got a puddle of oil.

I plan on doing one of two things. Either get the LS6 style cover and use it's PCV system, or I am going to get new valve covers with valve cover spacers. I also plan to go with a catchcan for either way.

Ben,

My truck is still in the shop, but I know we have the truck intake off now, starting up the LS2 TB/Intake conversion...

I did the LS6 Valley but the guy to contact is my engine builder.

I'll PM you his e-mail address, I gave it to Erik also. Larry is a great guy and work great with E-mail.

I can stop by on Monday and try to snap some pictures....below are all the pictures I have....

68735798.jpg

68735800.jpg

72926758.jpg

72927233.jpg

72926740.jpg

72926749.jpg

:wtf:

GEAR M UP How hard was it to remote mount your coils, what type wires did you use ( looks like Taylor 10.4mm :thumbs: ). What did you have to do to move them.

I'm having header clearence problems with my Taylor wires. I have a pro sleeve on the wires now but still on the header :mad:

Where does the PCV fitting in the valley cover connect to?

Comes back to the intake in the usual place, I'm pretty sure. In the back. Can't see it on either of these shots. The guy that built my motor recommended this. Most LS1 guys have already done it - if they care. Not sure if we have some of the same issues they have or not. It would certainly help me though.

The cover itself is supposedly only $65 from GM. You would just take the hole in the back part of the valve cover and either put a breather there, or plug it.

That makes sense Ben, which is what I expected. I see a problem with this, but it may so minor that its not worth messing with. Its not a problem with the LS6 cover, its the breather.

The normal PCV pulls air into the intake through the motor. The motor gets its air from the connection on the throttle body. That air that passes through the PCV has already passed the MAF so its accounted for in the tune. With the breather setup, your motor pulls air into the intake from the motor, but the motor now gets its supply from the valve cover breather. That air supply is not accounted for by the MAF. So at least under light throttle with good vacuum, the motor is getting more air than the MAF senses and LTRIM values are modified for this.

If that PCV pulled air is so minute that it doesn't matter, then no big deal. If it throws off the LTrim values but doesn't alter the WOT tune, then it may not matter to most car guys. If it alters normal driving, then it would matter to me.

:wtf:

GEAR M UP  How hard was it to remote mount your coils, what type wires did you use ( looks like Taylor 10.4mm  :thumbs: ). What did you have to do to move them.

I'm having header clearence problems with my Taylor wires. I have a pro sleeve on the wires now but still on the header :mad:

http://www.katechengines.com/index.htm they sell the kit... :ughdance:

After a closer look of our PCV setup, a few things have to be capped. An f-body/corvette has two PCV lines like we do. The difference if theirs y's into one connection that goes to the TB. So, to get it to work you have to cap the valve cover (driver's side) and the place that line goes to on the intake. You also have to cap the valve cover inlet tube on the pass side valve cover. The new LS6 valley cover PCV vent will just run straight to the TB. That is the only line you will need. As it is seen on Jeff's pics.

A brand new LS6 valley cover is $75. Just in case anyone was interested.

Archived