(Cars) Modifications, Emissions and Insurance

Smokey

Hello people. Have a few questions but it's all related.

I'd like to know if you make performance modifications to your new vehicle (and by new I mean that it does not have classic/antique status; no older than 25 years old) if you need to report said modifications to your insurance company. If you have to, when you report them does it raise your premium? If you have to but you don't, can they find out about it through a dealership/performance shop? And if you wreck I assume they wouldn't insure your damages?

Now if you do have to report performance mods does simple crap like cat-backs or intakes count? Or is it only for more serious things like ohhh headers, camshafts, forced induction, computer chips, stroker kits?... blah blah blah so many things.

Part two! I just mentioned all those performance item-types above however the emissions would be changed. The bummer is finding ones that are 50-state legal and CARB exempt as I live, guess where, Colly-fawneea - oops I mean California. I wanna know if you add about three things with a 50-state legality on them (supercharger, headers, cat-back) if it will still hold up emmisions wise? Or do they need to have CARB on them, and does it make a difference in the total emmisions if you have more than one CARB exempt bolt-on. I'm trying not to be too complicated but what I'm asking is that I'm sure with each bolt-on that it will raise the emmisions over factory, but still be compliant. But if you add more than one, will it push it over that legal limit?

The last thing is, let's say you have already had all this work done and you want to see if it will pass the smog test. If you go to a smog test facility, without whatever schedule you're required to check your vehicle (every 4 years?) can you just ask them to test to see if you'll pass emmisions when you need to? If you can do that and pass, cool. If you can do that, but fail are they required to make some kind of report or will you just have to make sure to make it compliant by the next required testing?

Okay that was probably a buttload of questions but it's pretty important to me soooooo any answers to the multiple above questions would be great. Especially if there's anyone with experience performance-tuning their cars in CA.

Oh and in case anyone's wondering it would be to do things to this truck sooo hopefully that'll squeeze out a little more insight.

:thumbs:

you asked all the questions ive already tried to find out. noone answers with the right answers. i feel the same way. also you can ask a test place on the phone if they would pass or not. I might have to. I'll watch closely to see what people say to you, cause that will answer my questions to

Hello people.  Have a few questions but it's all related.

I'd like to know if you make performance modifications to your new vehicle (and by new I mean that it does not have classic/antique status; no older than 25 years old) if you need to report said modifications to your insurance company.  If you have to, when you report them does it raise your premium?  If you have to but you don't, can they find out about it through a dealership/performance shop?  And if you wreck I assume they wouldn't insure your damages?

Now if you do have to report performance mods does simple crap like cat-backs or intakes count?  Or is it only for more serious things like ohhh headers, camshafts, forced induction, computer chips, stroker kits?... blah blah blah so many things.

Part two!  I just mentioned all those performance item-types above however the emissions would be changed.  The bummer is finding ones that are 50-state legal and CARB exempt as I live, guess where, Colly-fawneea - oops I mean California.  I wanna know if you add about three things with a 50-state legality on them (supercharger, headers, cat-back) if it will still hold up emmisions wise?  Or do they need to have CARB on them, and does it make a difference in the total emmisions if you have more than one CARB exempt bolt-on.  I'm trying not to be too complicated but what I'm asking is that I'm sure with each bolt-on that it will raise the emmisions over factory, but still be compliant.  But if you add more than one, will it push it over that legal limit?

The last thing is, let's say you have already had all this work done and you want to see if it will pass the smog test.  If you go to a smog test facility, without whatever schedule you're required to check your vehicle (every 4 years?) can you just ask them to test to see if you'll pass emmisions when you need to?  If you can do that and pass, cool.  If you can do that, but fail are they required to make some kind of report or will you just have to make sure to make it compliant by the next required testing?

Okay that was probably a buttload of questions but it's pretty important to me soooooo any answers to the multiple above questions would be great.  Especially if there's anyone with experience performance-tuning their cars in CA.

Oh and in case anyone's wondering it would be to do things to this truck sooo hopefully that'll squeeze out a little more insight.

:thumbs:

all insurance companys are different. but you do not have to tell then you have mods as long as you have proof that you installed them/had them installed. if your car is stolen or totaled and you have proof that the stuff you had in your truck at the time, they have to giev you the money back. the insurance companys do not look and see if you have mods done but id they find out or you tell them thanb they will for sure hike up your insurance.

as far as emissions, if it is 50 state legal its legal.......and if its carb exempt you SHOULDNT have too much probelm at the e-check. again it all depends on your state and your stae and local laws.

as for the smog testing, im sure you can schedual something to see if it works and if you go though a respectable parts company im sure they smog test their parts. again on this it all depends on the parts distributor and manufacturer.

As far as the emissions stuff goes, you can add as many mods as you want, as long as they have a CARB Nazi Executive Order that pertains to your vehicle. Double check, before you buy anything, you can look em up here:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

It is no fun finding out is it not legal, after you installed it.

You may also find this interesting to read.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/aftermkt.htm

But do not get discouraged, despite the regulation there are still many performance options available. Superchargers, headers, intakes, etc.

Outside of what is “legal” you can probably get away with some mods that do not call a lot of attention to themselves. Things like cam and head changes and maybe even a stroker kit might pass un-noticed. A normal smog inspection does not get very aggressive in checking for aftermarket equipment, but they will see the obvious things, like a supercharger. But forget things like gutting the catalytic converters, you will never pass without them.

And don’t forget the mods that you can easily remove before inspection, like a nitrous system :D

You do not need to do a smog check on a new vehicle until it is 4 years old, then it is every other year.

So who would/could actually get an individual in trouble for replacing an OEM catalytic converter with a high-flow CARB exempt one to compliment a full exhaust system? I found that Random Technologies and Magnaflow both make one, however it says you basically can't remove the stock ones unless they have failed, been damaged off warranty, or the vehicle has surpassed 50,000 miles - another source said 80,000...

Anyway I'm hoping this thread will generate a lot of knowledge for not only me and Wolf1 but anyone else that may have the same concerns.

i was told by my muffler shop that in ohio you cant touch the cats untill they are malfunctioning and need to be replaced. they also told me that you cant put headders on a car or else it would be illegal...but i think thats bull

As I recall, there is a federally mandated emissions warranty of 5 years, during which time the dealer will cover repairs for faulty emissions equipment, and during which time, you cannot do elective replacement of emissions parts.

Now, I suppose it is possible to "accidentally" damage your cats (oops, put the jack in the wrong spot ;) ), but then you would still need to go to the dealer for replacement, if I understand the law correctly.

As for headers, there are many CARB EOs on headers, so they are legal, likewise there are many cat back exhaust systems, but it looks like you are stuck with the stock cats for 5 years or whatever miles.

On the other hand, if you purchase and install the hi flow cat yourself, I don't think any smog inspection (visual or sniffer) is going to notice the difference. The high flow cat is still going to do it's job.

I used to live in CA. The Fresno and Sacramento areas. My previous truck (95 GMC) had a supercharger, Headers, Edelbrock intake manifold, Compucam camshaft, Catco Converyer and a custom tune.

After I purchased it, it passed emissions at 35,000 miles (with supercharger/tune)

Passed at 80,000 miles (all of the above)

And then failed at 108,000 when I was selling it, due to a failing converter. Once that was replaced, it passed with flying colors.

All of the parts I had on the truck had CARB EO numbers, yet I was never asked to produce documentation proving that it was all legal. One shop did turn me away, after once glance under the hood, but the others were no problem, trying their hardest to make sure that it passed.

Where in CA are you Smokey? I know of a few places in Fresno and I could probably find one in Sacramento that would swap in some new converters for you if your factory ones somehow got damaged by road debris or something...

Haha yeah, "The SS is lower than regular Silverados and I forgot that going up my buddy's driveway :)"

I'm in the San Francisco bay area. A wee bit away from Fresno and Sac-town.

But are you saying that a CARB EO cat from RT or Magnaflow that has a higher flow rate, even if it's not legal to replace it per years/mileage, would still pass the smog test?

You know what's really lame is that the cat has to be in the stock location, even if it passes the test... pshh.

Haha yeah, "The SS is lower than regular Silverados and I forgot that going up my buddy's driveway :)"

I'm in the San Francisco bay area.  A wee bit away from Fresno and Sac-town.

But are you saying that a CARB EO cat from RT or Magnaflow that has a higher flow rate, even if it's not legal to replace it per years/mileage, would still pass the smog test?

You know what's really lame is that the cat has to be in the stock location, even if it passes the test... pshh.

It should pass just fine. If it has a CARB EO number then the ARB has certified that it will not have a significant impact on pollution. I was running all of my parts on the much less-efficient TBI system and able to pass with a highflow cat. Your SS should do just fine.

Not being able to alter the location of the converter is why most mid-length and long-tube headers are illegal in CA. :( There is a method behind the madness though, if they are moved farther back in the exhaust stream they take longer to warm up to operating temp and will pollute more during that time. And I think if they are closer they run a higher risk of burning up prematurely.

I had a hanger welded up to my exhaust on my old truck at this place:

CLASSIC MUFFLER CENTER

(530) 661-6833

415 COTTONWOOD ST

WOODLAND,CA 95695

And they seemed like they would be the type of shop that would have no problem putting a new converter on for you if you want one ;)

As I recall, there is a federally mandated emissions warranty of 5 years, during which time the dealer will cover repairs for faulty emissions equipment, and during which time, you cannot do elective replacement of emissions parts. 

Now, I suppose it is possible to "accidentally" damage your cats (oops, put the jack in the wrong spot ;) ), but then you would still need to go to the dealer for replacement, if I understand the law correctly.

As for headers, there are many CARB EOs on headers, so they are legal, likewise there are many cat back exhaust systems, but it looks like you are stuck with the stock cats for 5 years or whatever miles. 

On the other hand, if you purchase and install the hi flow cat yourself, I don't think any smog inspection (visual or sniffer) is going to notice the difference.  The high flow cat is still going to do it's job.

It's 8 years 80,000 miles on emissions warranty. Muffler shops here wont do it if it's within emissions warranty. Beware of some of the cheaper cats, because they are not as efficient at removing exhaust emissions. If you use RT or Magnaflow you should have no problem.

• 6 years later...

If my truck has a magnacharger supercharger on it, do i need to have a carb sticker in order for me to pass a smog test on it?

I purchased truck used and there is no sticker on it, can i purchase a sticker for it somewhere?

If my truck has a magnacharger supercharger on it, do i need to have a carb sticker in order for me to pass a smog test on it?

I purchased truck used and there is no sticker on it, can i purchase a sticker for it somewhere?

im pretty sure Magnachargers r 50 state legal if u r running the stock pulley and the tune from Magnuson i doubt that any smog guy will know the difference the manufacturer is based out of California in ventura

they will see its got a different intake on it.

im pretty sure Magnachargers r 50 state legal if u r running the stock pulley and the tune from Magnuson i doubt that any smog guy will know the difference the manufacturer is based out of California in ventura

If you are talking about modifications to a Silverado SS... I live in Southern California and I have had the Magnacharger Radix on my 03 SS since 2,500 miles and I am up to 80,000 miles now. The Radix has the CARB EO and mine passes smog, no problems. Not even a comment from the tech.

Archived