Getting rid of ABS.

marc_w

Forgive me for sounding like a jackass here... but you really need to learn to drive on ice and snow! Just slow down and brake earlier and easier. People think because they have a 4 wheel drive they can do the same thing they do on dry pavement... It just ain't so!

Again, I'm not trying to be a wise guy, just being honest. :driving:

ABS was not made to make you stop quicker ie shorter distance. It was made so you can steer the front of the vehicle in a given direction by pulsating the brakes. Go in a snow covered parking lot without abs and lock the brakes up and then try to turn chances are you will continue straight. But do the same with abs and you will be able to steer yourself while braking at the same time. Nothing will stop shorter than having all 4 wheels locked generating the most friction between the tire and the road. Friction is what slows/stops you but then you lose you maneuverability so you can't have you cake and eat it too.

that's where you are completely wrong. there are TWO different kinds of friction. Static and kenetic. static is when something is just sitting on a surface and how much force it takes to move it, i.e. a rolling wheel or the pencil on my desk, whatever... kenetic friction is how much force it takes to keep moving the object once the static friction is overcome. i.e. the object is now moving or 'rubbing' on the surface. i.e. a locked up wheel or pushing .

my pencil across the desk.

guess which one is greater. Static friciton is greater, it takes more power to initially break the static friciton than it does to continue moving it. therefore you get better stopping power with the brakes NOT locked up.

physics 101 dismissed :thumbs: lol

Archived