electric supercharger

vtodd82

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you guys are kidding...

Ok. Superchargers work because they compress the air. What is shown in that ad is not a compressor, it's a blower motor. Think about a hair dryer. What's it do? Move air faster. Does it compress? No way.

30-40 hp? :crackup: Superchargers are capable of 130-150% hp, not 110%.

Best line of the ad: "This is better than nitrous with no effects on the motor in any way"

Well, at least everything after the 'with' is true.

This is just some guy looking for suckers.

I have actually seen one that works before that some engineering students here at Texas A&M made.  They used an eaton M90 with 3 electric motors off of starters, and could only get 4 psi on a v8, co I don't think that thing will produce 5psi.  Just my guess though  :crackup:

They also used an eaton M90 rather than an AC blower ;)

Just think about how much horse power a supercharger consumes under full boost, (something like 40-50 HP if I recall). Now think of an electric moter than has that much HP, and the alternator/batteries needed to feed it!

Also, as mentioned, a fan is not the ideal way to compress air. A fan can compress air, but not as much or as efficiently as other proven methods.

Thosee ebay electric superchargers probably get in the way of airflow more than they can help it :nonod:

Ok.  Superchargers work because they compress the air.  What is shown in that ad is not a compressor, it's a blower motor.  Think about a hair dryer.  What's it do?  Move air faster.  Does it compress?  No way.

30-40 hp?   :crackup:  Superchargers are capable of 130-150% hp, not 110%.

Best line of the ad:  "This is better than nitrous with no effects on the motor in any way"

I'm sorry, but I have to make a slight correction.

Most superchargers do not compress air. They simply move air. The pressure increase (boost) is created by a backup of the air trying to move into the chamber. Turbochargers on the other hand compress air. On a turbocharger, the air is exposed to centrifugal force compressing the air as it spins through blades and slammed against the shell of the compressor. Then it is delivered to the engine. That's one reason why turbos are more efficient. Basically, a supercharger is a blower mechanically driven by the engine. It delivers more air than the engine can handle creating boost and forcing more air into the chamber. A supercharger is a blower...

Ok.  Superchargers work because they compress the air.  What is shown in that ad is not a compressor, it's a blower motor.  Think about a hair dryer.  What's it do?  Move air faster.  Does it compress?  No way.

30-40 hp?   :crackup:  Superchargers are capable of 130-150% hp, not 110%.

Best line of the ad:  "This is better than nitrous with no effects on the motor in any way"

I'm sorry, but I have to make a slight correction.

Most superchargers do not compress air. They simply move air. The pressure increase (boost) is created by a backup of the air trying to move into the chamber. Turbochargers on the other hand compress air. On a turbocharger, the air is exposed to centrifugal force compressing the air as it spins through blades and slammed against the shell of the compressor. Then it is delivered to the engine. That's one reason why turbos are more efficient. Basically, a supercharger is a blower mechanically driven by the engine. It delivers more air than the engine can handle creating boost and forcing more air into the chamber. A supercharger is a blower...

This is incorrect. The only difference between a cent. sc and a turbo is the drive side (sc has a belt driven compressor, turbo has a turbine driven compressor). Twin screw super chargers have specially designed "screws" that compress the air as it pushes it into the manifold portion (see Whipple's explaination). Roots style blowers (a la Eaton -> Magnacharger) have "positive displacement pumps" (read: rotors that seal against one another and compress the air as it is pushed into the manifold) that "increase air pressure and density in the intake manifold" (see Magnacharger's site)-- aka compress the air . A supercharger is a compressor, plain and simple...

Boost is a measure of air pressure in the intake manifold. I guess with a tightly sealed fan you might have a very poor efficiency compressor, but ask your self this: If it is a viable technology for compression, why doesn't anyone in any industry use it for compression?

"You'll notice the Roots design is referred to as a blower, while a centrifugal supercharger or the pumping side of a turbo is referred to as a compressor. The reason is simple. A Roots blower doesn't actually compress air, it simply picks it up and moves it." --- Operational Principle of a Roots style supercharger

The whipple is a different set up. It does output compress air. The roots design doesn't in the supercharger itself.

Archived