Carlisle All GM Nationals review

Krambo

Just got back form Carlisle All GM Nationals. A good time had by all. It was the typical swap meet (bought a M-21 for my father's 69 SS Camaro) and vendors. All in all a good show. There was more concept cars on display this year IMO. Anyway, I cornered Jon Moss in one of the pavilions and did short Q&A on the Silverado SS and the "concept" Silverado SS reg cab. A few highlights are as follows:

KR: So, is the current SS Silverado going to have any changes in the new years?

Jon Moss: Yes, We are debating on giving it more kick and an array of new options. The public has taken to it very well.

KR: What new options? :confused:

Jon Moss: Chrom wheels, new body colors, bed covers, stereo options...

KR: So how about the reg cab SS Silverado? Is it gonna happen? :D

Jon Moss: Yes, in fact we just had a meeting on MSRP targets.

KR: :cool: What price are we looking at?

Jon Moss: Well, we tried to keep it at the 25K tag but it looks like it will be $27K-29,999K.

KR: Is it going to have the same platform as the current SS truck i.e. AWD?

Jon Moss: No. It will be 2WD RC with the 6.0L and a 4:10 and most likely an AOD with a stick gear box as an option.

KR: So 345 ponies?

Jon Moss: NOOOO, 395 naturally aspirated.

KR: :eek: Fantastic! So I guess the standard trim?

Jon Moss: Well, not sure yet. I can tell you for sure that it will have a rubber floor and the same exterior style as the current SS Silverado. We are trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible....and as light as possible.

KR: :pop: So this is a base model performance truck?

Jon Moss: Yep,...should be a 12 second quarter mile toy truck for under 30K.

KR: 12 seconds?

Jon Moss: Well high 12's depending on traction and tranny option.

KR: Awesome. :thumbs: When is it due to go into production?

Jon Moss: You will see it in 7-9 months.

He was busy so I let him go after that. What I typed is strait form Jon Moss, no BS . Take it for whatever its worth. :chevy:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Moss is one of the coolest guys in the world. He has been on Car and Driver/Motor Trend TV a few times (when they raced that ZL1 Camaro). If you are not familiar with who he is he is the head manager of the special vehicles (or whatever GM calls it...basically the 'SVT' of GM except it better since its not ford :jester:

Man that would be AWESOME if GM would build this but I really think they need to get the price down. After all, its still a 2WD reg cab short box pickup with a few goodies.

I have a grin ear to ear! I will hold my applause until I see the production truck finished, but man I can hardly wait! The only problem will be convincing my fiance that we need another new truck (just bought a 03 avalanche without body hardware). But I can deal with that! Let's get this baby to production Chevy.

Great coverage Krambo and thanks for the info :cheers: . I think GM needs to reconsider making it a 2WD. I like the idea of being able to smoke everybody off the line plus, versatility is what will make the new SS stand out, if it doesn't have that then it's just another Lightning (that's better looking :chevy: ).

Krambo, so you're saying that in a year I'm going to have to upgrade to the latest and greatest? :fume: Did Moss mention if next years AWD X-Cab will have the 395HP 6.0L?

They already built some 2004 Pilot SS ext-cab trucks a couple of months ago and mostly everything is the same as now, including the engine.

Any ideas on what that new colour of SS will be?

-Bob

Speaking of that - does anyone know if the Arrival Blue is unique to the SS, or is it the same blue thay are using on the Av and corvette?

Archived