Oil change update

r8rs4lf

I just changed my oil in the SS after 5 months. It was at 7% today so I decided to change it. I use full synthetic 10/30W Mobil1 along with Mobil1 filter #M1-107.

Previous mileage: 22,292

Mileage today: 27,311

Last oil change was: Aug. 16, 2005

Just thought I would update everyone considering changing over to Mobil1. 5000 miles is pretty good IMHO.

On another note, I saw that Mobil1 also has a full synthetic oil called "extended performance" which is supposed to go 15K miles. I went with the regular Mobil1 instead.

Late- Alex

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also use Mobil 1, and change at least every 5K. I've heard about that 15,000 mile stuff, but I'm skeptical. I just don't think I could sleep at night when I went past 6, 7K..

Who knows, maybe it works, but in my book, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I don't think the trucks computer knows the difference between synthetic and regular oil. Could be wrong though. My brother is getting 5-6 thousand out of his 5.3 quad cab z71 on standard oil.

TIM

Should we be using 5w-30 or 10w-30? My oil cap calls for 5w-30. I have not changed my own oil (just to lazy) I am switching to Mobil 1 on the next oil change so I will start doing it myself (I am cheaper then lazy)

I've got 500 miles on German Castrol 0w-30 with a M1 filter, couldn't find the part number for the long K&N at the time. Oil Pressure is a needle over 40 at cold idle, settles to right on 40lbs warm idle. It's strange weather in the midwest cold one day hot the next. I'll stay with the GC as long as I can find it with a K&N.

5W30 in mine. Using the John Deere high grade oil. Change every 6k to 8k miles with that. Planning on switching to Amsoil and trying to get their 25k miles that they advertise!!!!

I think the computer on these trucks only senses load and distance as factors for changing oil? Nothing about regular or synthetic, as my knowledge serves me.

I think the computer on these trucks only senses load and distance as factors for changing oil?  Nothing about regular or synthetic, as my knowledge serves me.

I would agree... I saw no difference between regular oil and mobil 1 5W-30 I run now... I've changed both at 3,000 miles and the oil life on the DIC is around 30%, give or take, for either one...

I change my oil at 3,000 regardless of what I run... peace of mind.

Full synthetic oil can last much longer than 15k. The problem is not the oil, but the filter. I use Amsoil. Their filters are rated to filter farther down than any off the shelf filter that I'm aware of. It's the dirt in your oil that kills your motor. When it comes to a problem with the oil, there are not too many oil related problems that I've ever heard from either regular or synthetic. It all comes down to how dirty the oil is.

Synthetic will not break down in viscosity nearly as easily though.

FWIW, The PCM doesn't know what you put in there. The oil % will change at the same rate with either synthetic or not. It only takes into account how it is driven. There is not an oil sampler anywhere in the motor.

I would agree... I saw no difference between regular oil and mobil 1 5W-30 I run now... I've changed both at 3,000 miles and the oil life on the DIC is around 30%, give or take, for either one...

I change my oil at 3,000 regardless of what I run... peace of mind.

:withstupid: I change my oil at 3K-miles. Over 8 years ago I tried running Mobil 1 for 5K-miles on my Firebird; after three oil changes (15K miles) the leakdown readings were already > 3% and it was drinking the oil so I ended-up re-ringing the motor; it was definitely chewed-up due to dirty oil. The lesson I took is that just because the oil is engineered to survive longer before loosing its viscosity does not change the fact that it collects acids and trash.

Mr. P.

I guess the million dollar question is, should we all be using 5w-30 or 10w-30? I went with 10w-30 mobil1 and still change it between 2500-3000 miles. Most seem to be 10w-30 but the cap does say 5w-30. I thought the lighter weights were for mileage or EPA reasons?

5W-30 is probably used since the tolerances in todays engines are tighter than they used to be years ago. I know that the Ford 5.4 L calls for 5W20 specifically for such reasons. When I had my old Ford they told me never to run anything but what it called for.

Archived