Wind Noise

SS Stazz

Here is one of the bulletins concerning noise in the rear window. More to come

I am a GM truck master tech. I will post these bulletins as long as I can. I'm sure GM will frown on this. :chevy:

Service VME - Rear Quarter Glass Hinge ( Latch ) Loose - GMT800 adhesive broken noise rear whistle wind window #PI01790 - (Feb 24, 2004)

Service VME - Rear Quarter Glass Hinge (Latch) Loose

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

SERVICE VME

Some customers/dealers may comment that the hinge( latch ) on the rear quarter glass hinge is loose or has become detached from the window glass, particularly on the left hand (drivers side) on their extended cab full-size pickup. While the root cause is being investigated, attempts to re-glue the hinge( latch ) to the glass may not be the best solution as adhesion will still be a concern. Recommendation is to replace the entire swing out window kit (P/N 88939709-10 : clear glass, and P/N 88939711-12: deep tint glass).

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

Models:

(04 Chevrolet Silverado, Extended Cab) and (04 GMC Sierra, Extended Cab)

:chevy:

Front Door Frame Contacts the Windshield Reveal Molding - kw chatter GMT800 GMT805 GMT806 GMT820 GMT830 leak noise trim whistle wind window windshield pillar squeak contact rough bump #PI01822 - (Mar 2, 2004)

Front Door Frame Contacts the Windshield Reveal Molding

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment on a creak, squeak, itch noise coming from the front door frame area near the windshield. The condition can occur under normal driving but can be worse when on rough roads. The noise is most likely being generated by the front door frame contacting the windshield reveal molding. A new higher durometer windshield reveal molding was implemented in production for the 04 model year that may be aggravating this condition.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If you encounter this condition, use urethane anti-squeak tape, GM part number 15605821, on the inside edge of the front door window frame to allow the door to slide on the windshield reveal molding and not create the noise.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

Models:

(04 Chevrolet Silverado) and (04 Chevrolet Avalanche) and (04 Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban) and (04 GMC Sierra, Sierra Denali ) and (04 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali, Denali XL ) and (04 Cadillac Escalade, EXT, ESV)

Here is the bulletin I was searching for. Use the Bulletin # when talking to the dealer. This bulletin applies to most but not all of our trucks. Keep in mind also that other things can cause noise. But if your sure it's from your rear quater glass make them replace the glass. Most dealerships do whatr is called Sublet. In other words they will need to keep you vehicle and have a local auto glass company install the glass. The dealer will order the glass from GM

Wind Noise from Body Side Quarter Window (Replace Body Side Quarter Window Assm) #99-08-48-001A - (Aug 24, 2000)

Wind Noise from Body Side Quarter Window (Replace Body Side Quarter Window Assembly)

1999-2000 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Extended Cab Pickup Models (Silverado and Sierra)

Built Prior to February 1, 2000

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2000 model year, remove service procedures, and change the part numbers. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-08-48-001 (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment on wind noise coming from either of the body side quarter windows while driving with the quarter windows closed. The wind noise may be more noticeable at speeds over 56 km/h (35 mph).

Cause

An insufficient seal of the window frame to the body or an improper window latch length may cause this condition.

Correction

A new body side quarter window kit is available to correct this condition. This window kit includes the window frame and glass, three frame centering screws that reinforce the sealing of the window frame to the body, and an instruction sheet. The window frame also features a reinforcement latch tab to improve latch efforts and function.

Replace the applicable body side quarter window on affected vehicles. Use the appropriate part number listed below.

Refer to the applicable Service Manual for quarter window removal and additional installation procedures. Also refer to the instruction sheet provided with the window kit for installation information.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Window Kit, Body Side - LH

(except RPO AJ1)

Window Kit, Body Side

RH (except RPO AJ1)

Window Kit, Body Side

LH (w/RPO AJ1)

Window Kit, Body Side

RH (w/RPO AJ1)

Parts are expected to be available from GMSPO on 9-18-00.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

C0546

*Hinge, Quarter Glass Swing Out - Replace (Right)

(3 and 4 Door Models)

0.5 hr

C0547

*Hinge, Quarter Glass Swing Out - Replace (Left)

(3 Door Models)

0.8 hr

C0547

*Hinge, Quarter Glass Swing Out - Replace (Left)

(4 Door Models)

0.5 hr

Policy: S Add 0.3 hr if the vehicle is delivered to and from the repair location.

*NOTE: Also referred to as frame.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document ID# 745328

2000 Chevrolet/Geo Chevy C Silverado - 2WD

I just took mine in to get fixed down here and they told me they could not find anything wrong with it. They told me that everything look good around the seals and the window was not loose. Then I asked them if they drove it to hear the problem they told me no. Now I have to make another appointment with them and another day without my truck. NO A HAPPY MAN............. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I just took mine in to get fixed down here and they told me they could not find anything wrong with it.  They told me that everything look good around the seals and the window was not loose.  Then I asked them if they drove it to hear the problem they told me no.  Now I have to make another appointment with them and another day without my truck.  NO A HAPPY MAN............. :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Hey, do you know if there is a sevice bulletin for the clunking noise found in the steering shaft for the 'O3 SSS's? If I bring this up at the dealer, will they replace it under warranty?

I just took mine in to get fixed down here and they told me they could not find anything wrong with it.  They told me that everything look good around the seals and the window was not loose.  Then I asked them if they drove it to hear the problem they told me no.  Now I have to make another appointment with them and another day without my truck.  NO A HAPPY MAN............. :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

Hey, do you know if there is a sevice bulletin for the clunking noise found in the steering shaft for the 'O3 SSS's? If I bring this up at the dealer, will they replace it under warranty?

No I don't sorry. Zippy might know.......

No I don't sorry. Zippy might know.......

I got mine fixed late last summer and I still get recall notices in the mail for it. I just got one on Tuesday.

THIS IS THE MOST CURRENT BULLETIN FOR THE STEERING SHAFT NOISE

:chevy::banghead:

VSSM Message - Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in Steering Wheel - keywords intermediate shaft suspension vibration #PIT3646 - (Jun 28, 2005)

VSSM Message - Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in Steering Wheel

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

VSSM Message

As you are well aware we have experienced a clunk noise that can be felt in the steering wheel when turning at slow speeds over rough surfaces. This specific clunk noise was eliminated with the introduction of the PBT over molded I-shaft in March, 2004. A recent warranty parts review of 2005 I-shafts has confirmed that this clunk noise is no longer present, yet we continue to see a significant number of new design I-shafts replaced under warranty. While customers may comment about an under hood or under body noise, Engineering does not believe that this is related to the I-shaft. In this regard, do not grease or replace the I-shaft on a 2005 MY full size truck unless you can confirm the "clunk" noise is coming from the I-shaft. Other potential areas to investigate may be the body mounts, torsion bar cross members, steering column lower bearing. Use of chassis ears can assist in ruling out most of these areas.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

This is the previous bulletin

:banghead:

Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can be Felt in Steering Wheel (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly) #00-02-35-003H - (Apr 19, 2005)

Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can be Felt in Steering Wheel (Replace Upper Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly)

2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV

1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado

2000-2003 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2003 GMC Sierra

2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

2003 HUMMER H2

(Affected vehicles include both 2WD and 4WD)

This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities.

This bulletin is being revised to inform dealers that GMSPO has sufficient inventory on improved I- shafts. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003G (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Correction

Replace the steering column upper intermediate shaft with an improved design shaft that will eliminate the clunk noise using the procedure listed below.

Set the front wheels in the straight-ahead position.

Notice: On 2002 and later model year vehicles, the steering column LOCK was removed from the steering column. It is critical that the J 42640 Steering Column Anti-Rotation Pin is used when servicing these steering columns. Failure to use the J 42640 may result in damage to the SIR coil.

Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position on 2001 and prior vehicles.

Install the J 42640 in the steering column lower access hole.

From under the hood, remove the lower bolt that connects the upper intermediate shaft to the steering gear coupling shaft.

Slide the shaft towards the dash in order to disengage the shaft from the steering gear coupling shaft.

For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, do the following steps.

- Reposition the carpet away from the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor.

- Remove the two nuts retaining the accelerator pedal to the bulkhead.

- Reposition the accelerator pedal out of the way so that the intermediate shaft can be removed.

From inside the vehicle, remove the upper bolt from the upper intermediate steering shaft (1) to the steering column connection.

Remove the upper intermediate steering shaft assembly.

- From inside the vehicle, slide the shaft down and off the steering column shaft.

- From inside the vehicle, slide the upper intermediate shaft through the dash boot seal and remove the shaft from the vehicle.

Replace the upper intermediate shaft. See the parts table below.

Install the upper intermediate steering shaft through the dash boot seal and slide the lower end into the steering gear coupling shaft.

Raise the upper end of the intermediate steering shaft and install into the steering column shaft.

Install the upper bolt and nut.

Tighten

Tighten the bolt to 47 N·m (35 lb ft).

Install the lower bolt and nut.

Tighten

Tighten the bolt to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, do the following steps.

- Reposition the accelerator pedals into position on the bulkhead.

- Install the two retaining nuts.

Tighten

Tighten the nuts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).

- Reposition the carpet back into place.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

Shaft, Upper Intermediate Shaft

Use on all 1500 Series trucks:

Except Escalades

Except Denalis

Except Avalanches

Except 1500 HD

Shaft, Upper Intermediate Shaft

Use on all 2500 and 3500 Series Trucks and

Escalades

Denalis

Avalanches

H2

1500HD

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

If your not happy with the service you recieve at your dealer here is a suggestion. If your vehicle is under warranty tell them (the dealer) that you will give them a bad survey. GM sends surveys to it's customers and the dealer gets prizes for good surveys. They are great prizes meaning they are very substantial. trips merchandise and cash. it is there job to repair your car. Hit them where it hurts. be reasonable. Sometimes the technician cannot duplicate a concern and more often then not your complaint may not be told to the technician correctly. We cannot repair your concern if we do not have a clear understanding of it. As far as the noise in question. All GM dealers know about it.

SS Stazz

:chevy:

Archived