AWD Dyno

dcairns

Well, I finally found an AWD dyno pretty close to me. http://www.xs-engineering.com Looks like they cater to the import crowd, but they do have the AWD dyno. Now as soon as Whipple can get their hands on an SS and certify the 6.0L kit for the SS, I will be making a base line run on the dyno. I prefer to compare numbers rather than "It rocks now dude, must be a 1000 hp gain..." kinda stuff :D

my guess would be 7 if it were intercooled. the LS1 and LT1 both have ratio's than the LQ9 (LQ9=10.08:1, LS1=10.1:1, LT1=10.5:1) and there are more of them supercharged in stock form than worth counting. fuel quality and programming will be the main issue. my choice though isn't the whipple, but is the magnacharger.

Whipple says they are running 5 lbs of boost and getting 470 hp out of the Escalade, so the numbers for the SS should be the same. I am not sure if they were using the wonderful 91 octane gas we have here in CA or not (they are located her in CA, but I am sure creative specmanship is employed whenever possible :)

Quote from Whipple:

The way that we are capable of doing it is through timing and spark

curve.  The engine from the Escalade made 470 HP with 5 lbs of boost.  We

have had to drastically adjust timing to allow the engine and supercharger

combination to work properly.  The aggressive timing in the computer is how

the engine makes its power.  We have had to reduce timing and make less

power to start making more power.  The supercharger made about 40% increase

in performance.

In order to take it up from there, someone is going to have to figure a way to lower the compression of the LQ9 and replace it with more boost from the supercharger. Something like an extra thick head gasket and pulley swap might do the trick, but I don't know how the computers will respond to modifications like that. Does anyone have the specifications to figure out how thick that head gasket would need to be to lower the compression from 10:1 to 9 or 8 :1. I am just wondering if it would require longer push rods or start causing alignment problems with the intake manifold. As a seat of the pants guess, I would think you could get away with an 1/8 inch spacer, but a 1/4 inch would probably start to be a problem

Right now my SS has a smooth acceleration, rather than the kick in the butt acceleration that an F-150 HD has, so I am sure the supercharger will deliver the good kick in the butt I am after :D

So it is either a head swap or some major interal changes (pistons or rods). All of which are probably illegal here in CA. Well I am not looking to go beyond the supercharger anytime soon, so I won't worry about it.

Finally! :thumbs: A very good tech question with tech answers. Keep them flowing!

BTW I wouldn't rec. using a thicker gasket to lower the comp.

...waiting for the aftermarket goodies to start being available :sleep:

you could use somthing like a aftermarket JE piston with an offset wrist pin I would think... then again... if your going to have the heads off... shiiiiittttttttttttttttttt...... go nuts!!

That would lower the compression, but you would kill the quench.

It would be more likely to detonate even with the lower static compression ratio.

The only viable options are using a dished piston, or a larger combustion chamber.

RF

The only viable options are using a dished piston, or a larger combustion chamber.

So have you found the part numbers for heads with a larger combustion chamber for us? :D

Seriously, it will be a few years before I will want to start modding that much. The Whipple should keep me happy for a couple of years. At least till the SS is paid for :jester:

• 2 weeks later...

first off let me say hello to every one seems like some ford owners are giving others a bad name here well i own both so no biggy to me and personally like the ss looks.my current cars are a 01 zo6 03 lightning and a 02 bmw 325i(wifes car) genral car / truck enthusiast ...been looking around the site ,and see alot on super charges . have any of u considered nitrous used correctly it is very safe alot less expensive as far as hp to dollar and i think it would deffintly benefit the awd being u guys have the traction to launch on a big shot. i think 100 - 150 shot would be safe on the ss trucks may have to pull some timing and run a colder plug cause of the agessive program the ss has but i bet 125 shot would drop 1/4 times close to a full sec.. i currently run a 100 shot on the zo6 have had no problems thus far 6 10lb bottels, and have had it on past cars with no probs. also there is no better feeling than to purge the system onside of the competion :cool:

I like the supercharger idea because it is my teenage dream fulfillment. A Chevy V8 with a blower... :D . I have not given much consideration to a centrifugal blower or nitrous for the same reason. I like the power to come on down low, not just full throttle. More fun for daily driving and no bottle to refill, just the gas tank :eek:

Archived