dealership problems

fatboyss

I took my truck to the dealership two days ago for a clicking problem in the steering column, a brake light was out, and the alignment was way off. They told me it would be a couple of days to fix the steering column because they did not have the parts in and that it was a common problem which i was fine with...but they also told me that they would not pay for the alignment because I have too many miles on my truck. I only have 21000 and a warranty up to 36000...they explained that some things including alignment are only covered up to 10000 miles and then they changed it to 7500 miles...they said it could not be covered in the warranty because it could be my fault for the alignment problem...I know it does not cost that much to get it fixed but it still pisses me off...is there any way around this or am I just going to have to pay for it???

oh I forgot to mention that around 5000 miles I took my truck in because it had a bad fuel pump and I told them about the alignment but they said it was ok and did not even register my complaint about it in the computer so it makes it look like this is the first time i said anything about it

is there anything i can do???

Never had that problem at a dealership before except BMW, don't buy that bs from BMW I believe they have one of the worse warranty programs, I had to pay for almost everything that was done to fix my m5, they are snobby and keep creating bs, theres lots of fine details in that program to watch out for. Buying european is never the way out of warranty issues, trust me on this.

An alignment is a changing thing. This will change depending on your driving habits, driving conditions, tire wear. Things like hitting bumps in the road, curbs or even taking corners real fast can change your alignment. This is why it is recommended to do an alignment evry 15k miles of so. It is a preventative miantenance item... If a dealership does do an alignment for you at that mileage it would be a strictly a goodwill effort from the dealership, not warranty. The General and every other manufacturer that I have worked for is very strict about thier alloted adjustment periods..

Sorry buddy, maybe if you take your service advisor a couple dozen dounuts early one morning he might discount it for you.

Just a little inside info about dealerships; Dougnuts will get you a lot with your dealership, well in the Service and Parts department anyway... :thumbs:

JOSH

I needed to get an alignment on mine when it only had 1000 miles on it. The dealer first said they couldn't do it because somthing like that is not under warranty but when I said it only had a thousand miles they decided to take a look at it. When they were finished with the truck the guy got me and said they went ahead and did a realignment because it was way off and there was no charge. He said they normally will not do realignments because this is something that can be done from bad driving.

I needed to get an alignment on mine when it only had 1000 miles on it.  The dealer first said they couldn't do it because somthing like that is not under  warranty but when I said it only had a thousand miles they decided to take a look at it.  When they were finished with the truck the guy got me and said they went ahead and did a realignment because it was way off and there was no charge.  He said they normally will not do realignments because this is something that can be done from bad driving.

Usually they tell you to put a couple thousand on it before they will align it, But it should be under warranty if it quallifies under the adjustment period. That is something that it not talked about much. I just turned 3K on this new one and it will be in the shop next week for a warranty alignment.

JOSH

yea, when i told my service guy, i got a new tahoe, and i asked him what i should keep an eye on, first thing he mentioned was drive the tahoe til about 6000-7000 miles, bring it in they will align it no charge.

WOW, I no what kind of Service Advisor that guy is. We call him a player, or a sharp pencil... He sounds like a Warranty Administrators worst nightmare. I call advisors like that Warranty Whores... :nono:

JOSH

what problems with the M5. that is an awsome car...have you been reading about the NEW M5-holy crap, all I can say...Do you like the M5 or is it just a big name plate?

thanks

joe

the m5 is a wicked car, its fun and all, but I had problems with mine, and especially getting these problems sorted out was even more of a problem from the supposed great service and warranty that they are suppose to offer. First thing to go wrong with it were some little electrical gadgets such as the rear sunshade and windows not being able to go down anymore. BMW claimed that it was the motors on the windows and sunshade and waited 3 weeks till they had the parts and took 3 days to install it. 2 weeks later they broke again, and the dealer claimed that it was probably from over use (so much bs) and tried to make excuses until I finally forced them to check the whole car over. They replaced all the wiring and motor after 3 months. Not too long afterwards the check engine like kept flashing and I brought it in again, they had to keep the car for about a week to figure out that there were faulty injectors. After they replaced it they held the car for 2 days to do an oil change. When I got the car back the alignment was off and the brakes were sqeaking. Again I brought it in and they claimed that it was due to hard driving and did not want to do it under warranty. I suspect the mechanics took my car for a joy ride and screwed it up during all the time it was at the shop, but again, they refused so I ended up paying for alignment and brake work at only about 3000 miles. This is my rant on the hatred for that BMW dealership. The new m5 certainly sounds like a performer, but the looks are not that great in my opinion. I'd probably try a E55 or cadillac v , audi S, or jaguar R before I try bmw.

Archived