Front Diff Fluid

I checked the owners manual for front diff fluid specification and it calls for: SAE 80-90 Axle lubricant GM part # 1052271

I checked the GM service manual for front diff fluid specification and it calls for SAE 75-90 Synthetic axle lubricant GM part # 12378261

I wanted to change my axle fluids at around 500 miles as I have done on my prior GM trucks. I also wanted to be sure that the front diff in my SS had Synthetic Gear Oil. So, I drained and filled my front diff with part # 12378261.

This stuff retails for $28.19 per bottle and takes about 3 bottles.

So, I elected to put off my rear diff drain and refill with Synthetic GM gear oil until my next oil change which will still satisfy my desire to get that fluid changed fairly early and fit it into my budget.

• 5 months later...
Holy crap that's expensive!

Any reason why you didn't go with generic, off the shelf, synthetic fluid?

I'm a little too cheap and stubborn. I just ran Mobil-1 75/90 in the front and rear diff's of my last two trucks.

I bought a $40K GM Vehicle...I am not cheap....but I am stubborn...I am not concerned with saving a few bucks on some aftermarket product. I am an ASE certified Certified Master Automotive Technician as well as A GM Certified Master Technician, and have over 40 years experience in the Automotive Service field. I will continue to opt for GM parts and accessories or GM approved parts and accessories for my GM vehicles where applicable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 2002 Escalade AWD calls for the same fluids as the SSS. I just had the front and rear diff. fluids changed at the the dealer $29/quart and takes 3 quarts each. I also had a new fuel filter put on. Total bill with labor $299. Not inexpensive for sure, but good for piece of mind. Next time around I will try and track down some Mobil 1 75W-90. I looked all over locally here in KC, closest I could find was a synthetic blend.

Archived