cam install???

fatboyss

1) Do You really need a new gasket set when doing a cam swap???

The cam is Comp 218-222-560-565-113+3

2) Can I Drive with the new cam on the stock tune for less than 5-10 miles to get my Torque Converter and other stuff installed at another place?

1) Do You really need a new gasket set when doing a cam swap???

The cam is Comp 218-222-560-565-113+3

2) Can I Drive with the new cam on the stock tune for less than 5-10 miles to get my Torque Converter and other stuff installed at another place?

Need? I don't think so. I used all the same gaskets through 2 cam installs. they were about 2k miles in between, but they should still be fine. If I had about 30k miles, I'd replace them. All the gaskets we have are o-ring type and can be reused. The only one I replaced every time was the timing cover seal and always put in a new crank bolt.

You may be able to drive it with that cam, it just may not idle very well without you giving it some gas. Not sure it would idle on it's own, or not.

whats up bro! fatboyss's truck only has about 21k on it and i was thinking the original gaskets would be ok on it. When i did my cam swap in my camaro i had about 80k on it so i figured i should. Am i understanding that he should change the crank bolt out at the minimum, i know the cost for these parts are minimal but saving every little bit helps.

Others have re-used the crank bolt and not had any issues. Rule-of-thumb for torque-to-yield bolts are to use them only once. I figure since they are only about $4 from the dealership, why chance anything?

Archived