Just one more reason not to buy a Ford!

1stdodge

All the automakers seem to be having trouble lately? The GT40 recall is disasterous as far as publicity is concerned?

I used to buy Shelby Chargers for dirt cheap that had under the hood fires, they were good for parts-pickin. The fuel lines to the carb from the factory would harden and crack, causing fires that were USUALLY small, which left lots of good parts, cause they were usually written off.

I rode in a 1966 GTO 389 tri-power 4 speed that burned to the ground in 1982, the rear carb line cracked, spit fuel all over the distributor, and when it caught, it caught! Burned everything under the dash, let alone everything under the hood. The car stunk even after we stripped it!

Yea, the Ford Pinto used to burst into flames if you looked at it crosseyed. Up here in NY the troopers use Crown Vics. They've been catching fire from rear end collisions. A common occurance if you patrol the thruways much. The troopers don't want the Fords anymore. They're pegged as death traps. Most of the troopers I've talked to preferred the old Caprices. Rugged and faster than the Fords. GM needs a rear wheel sedan for law enforcement.

The interceptor Caprice and Caprice SS are just awesome.

Mr. P. :)

• 2 weeks later...
:crackup: That's just great....... I know that because of all the police crown vic's here in phoenix most of the departments are buying the new Imapla's for their fleets. That does have to be a hard thing for someone to have their "new" truck burst into flames in their driveway... good thing their doing a recall

My father-in-law always makes a point to mention how safe Fords are b/c they are thoughtful enought to install a fuel pump kill switch that triggers at impact. My response to that is that it wasn't "thoughtful" it was a way to keep fire related fatalities down  :banghead: Don't hear about any chevy's bursting into flames!

He has already been e-mailed a copy of that article!  :thumbs:

I know someone who in a thunderstorm, did a 180, bounced off a guard-rail ended up north-south across westbound lanes of a Houston freeway and couldn't restart/move the car because of the kill switch.

Could have been very bad...

WW :eek:

Archived