Axle Ratio

ChevelleBoy

Who can give me the skinny on pros and cons between the 3.42 and 3.73 axle ratios on a regular Silverado 5.3 C1500. This has nothing to do with the SS, but a friend is looking at a truck with with a 3.42 and only tows a 3000 pound ski boat every summer. Would anyone advise him to hold out for a 3.73?

I personally would vote for the 3.73 gear set. When you consider the overall final drive gear ratio in OD with the 3.73 would be 2.61 to 1 versus 2.39 to 1 with the 3.42 you find that the real world fuel mileage unloaded should be pretty close to equal for either ratio. I believe that the 3.73's towing advantage would be enough to get my vote. GM gives you another 1000 LBS towing capacity with the 3.73 which equates into a better towing vehicle even if you don't approach the max weight.

the 3.42 will be a bit softer at slower speeds and tend to downshift more often, but will still pull it fine. the 3.73 just seems to work better towing with the 5.3 and overall driveability is better with the 3.73.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived