rough idle,misfire

wiseguy

MTBE, or oxygenated gas, is "crap" gas for more than just performance reasons:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question347.htm

or

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/gasoline4.htm

There are also some informative links there on things ranging from drag racing, to engines & the oil refining process, etc.

Here's one covering various types of race fuel used by Indy, NASCAR, & Top Fuel:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question202.htm

FYI, 93 octane gas in my area has been falling in price and is now down to $1.45 at some stations.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

My 2000 6.0 Z71 does the same rough idle thing, my mech tells me it's a sign of a stuck injector developing, but just today my fuel pump started making a whine noise and I'm getting a noticeable stumble when I leave stoplights, runs fine on the interstate,till that pump goes full south. :sigh:

My truck also has a slightly rough idle. I first noticed it just the other day while at a red light. I looked up at my radar detector on the windshield and saw that it was dancing a little, but until getting a visual I never really "felt" it.

$1.54 for 93 octane here in sunny Florida. Hearing some of your prices, maybe I won't be so mad next time I go up to the pump and it's gone up 3 cents.

Hello All, New to this Forum and you all may know of this link, but check out the following to see available code updates for your truck based on your VIN.

http://calid.gm.com/vci/

Not sure but doesn't the General only spec 87 octane for the Vortec engines? And I'm not sure but I think there is a reason for this along the lines of ECM fuel/air mix calculations.

Since the Vortec ignition is distributorless and each cylinder is depending on its one ignition module and the signal from the ecm, if not a code calibration problem the idle problem you are describing may be due to a tolerance problem with one of these eight indepentent units. Meaning that one may be on the edge of being defective but still with in spec.

If your dealers service department cannot figure it out find one that can, they are not all created equal. Good Luck

BBTs :chevy:

Other Vortecs are 87 octane, but the SS specifically requires 91 octane or better. And at least two dealerships I went to had salesmen who did not know this, one even argued about it until I popped the fuel fill cover and showed him. It's on the fuel fill cover & in the owner's manual (pg. 5-4).

"For all except Silverado SS model, use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 87 or higher."

And then...

"If you have the Silverado SS model, use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 91 or higher for best performance. You may use middle grade or regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but your vehicle's acceleration may be slightly reduced."

Other Vortecs are 87 octane, but the SS specifically requires 91 octane or better. And at least two dealerships I went to had salesmen who did not know this, one even argued about it until I popped the fuel fill cover and showed him. It's on the fuel fill cover & in the owner's manual (pg. 5-4).

"For all except Silverado SS model, use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 87 or higher."

And then...

"If you have the Silverado SS model, use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 91 or higher for best performance. You may use middle grade or regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but your vehicle's acceleration may be slightly reduced."

I had the same conversation with a salesman who thought you could run (should run) non premium fuel in the SS :fume: Guess the SS is so new some salesman haven't gotten the correct info :crazy:

• 4 years later...
$1.69 A GALLON........................FOR 93 OCTANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Damn I hate Phoenix. Our price for curmmy 91 just went down to $1.99 about a week ago. Geez we get screwed here.

I wish gas was this high now. :fume:

Archived