Lund Bug Deflector

I have installed many small cosmetic upgrades to my truck, one of them being the smoked Lund bug deflector. The look in my opinion is great and somewhat functional as a bonus. :cool: The problem I have (had it with my last truck also) is that at around 75 mph the wind is altered enough to make the rubber side windshild trim flap. VERY ANNOYING! :fume: To correct the problem I used 3 dots of superglue on each side trim...I know it is more extreme than 2x tape but it will do the same job. I know that in the hood cover ("Hood Bra") package, they include a piece of tape for this exact reason. Come to think of it, I didn't read the instructions for the Lund Deflector... :shakehead: , maybe they mentioned that in there. :sigh: Oh well, just an FYI.

I had a clear bug deflector painted on the back side to match my teal 93 1500. I was driving back and forth over a 250 mile trip every week. I traveled in to the setting sun every Sunday. The bugs were terrible, that's why I got it. Well, instead of the bugs plastering my entire windshield they plastered the top 90% of it. The side mirrors also vibrated at 75 mph so bad I couldn't tell what was behind me. I checked my milage regularly on those trips and with the "bug shield" on it dropped a little over 2 mpg. :fume: After 2 weeks the bug shield came off and is still in the loft of my shop. Come to think of it that's 10 years ago, man time flies. I think the manufacturer must spend a little time designing these trucks and a $100 piece of plastic on the front just doesn't fit in the aerodynamic equation.

:withstupid: I agree w/ both of you I never liked the bug deflecter. I had a 85 chevy w/ a GTS bug shield and a 90 454ss with the GTS and took them both off within a month. The bad part of it, on my 454 the guard began rubbbing on the paint :fume: . I will never own another one.

just my 2 cents

• 1 month later...

The SS is my first truck without a bug shield. My Ranger had one wich rubbed the hood (2xtreme) really bad. Never experienced the side mirrors shaking but I could see it. Don't they protect the hood/windshield from rocks kicking up as well? I would love to paint a clear one red for my SS but having second thoughts now.

JMHO. I like the SS without a bug deflector. It looks cleaner.

I agree. But, probably right after I get that first rock fly up and take out a chunk of paint, I'll wish I had one.

Archived