Air - Fuel Ratio Gauge

What do I need to install an AFR-gauge? Is it just a matter of buying a gauge and hooking it up to existing cabling, or do I need to install also something on the engine. like a sensor or something?

I did a search, but couldn't really find the information.

Thanks

Pascal

First, there are two kinds of AFR gauges -- one, which is useless (trust me I have one) really boils down to a rich/lean gauge; as opposed to the second which is a wideband AFR gauge.

The first kind just taps the purple/white wire coming from the narrow band O2 sensor. The information you get from this gauge during normal driving is: a pretty light show that bounces rich-lean-rich-lean-rich... At WOT, the gauge will peg rich (assuming you aren't running 14.7 @ WOT :urgent::thumbsdown::urgent: which would be very bad).

The second kind is about $500 and requires you tap your exhaust with a sensor bung and install a wideband O2 gauge, run the wiring, etc. This gauge will tell you your ACTUAL AFR at all times -- and since it runs off a wideband sensor, it will be accurate as well.

The first kind of gauge is useful for tuning carborated cars, but worthless on injected vehicles. The second kind is what you want, but stupid expensive.

I'd recommend either getting the second kind or a different gauge for that spot.

First, there are two kinds of AFR gauges -- one, which is useless (trust me I have one) really boils down to a rich/lean gauge;  as opposed to the second which is a wideband AFR gauge.

I'd recommend either getting the second kind or a different gauge for that spot.

Erik, so I guess the 2nd option is the best, but uses a sensor, inserted in the exhaust system. This would be a lambda-sonde. But don't we already have one? Or is that the 1st option you mention?

Soon I'll be changing to LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) as Petrol is way to expensive overhere with my kind of mileage. I'm driving the car now for 5 days and already emptied a complete tank. At 110 EUR per tank this is going to cost me approx. 160 EUR a week just for the petrol. That's $ 210.

But because of the new petrol, I would like to be able to monitor what's going on. I'm also thinking seriously about HP Tuners...

THanks for advice..

Pascal

The Dakota gauge is far better than one of the gauges that tap into your stock O2 sensors. If you look at the sending unit data, it's a 3-wire heated O2 sensor. So it's not using the stock O2, it has it's own. Not sure if it's a wideband type, but may be adaptable.

I would definitely get that one over one of the kind that piggyback my stock O2s.

what about this gauge its not $500 and I think it displays more than just a bar graph.  I was thinking of buying this myself

air fuel gauge

Instead of the bouncey bar, that gauge shows you mV from the narrow band O2s. I suppose you could hook that up to a wideband O2, but unless you have a mV - AFR table in your head for your O2 sensor, its kinda meaningless.

First, there are two kinds of AFR gauges -- one, which is useless (trust me I have one) really boils down to a rich/lean gauge;  as opposed to the second which is a wideband AFR gauge.

Erik, so I guess the 2nd option is the best, but uses a sensor, inserted in the exhaust system. This would be a lambda-sonde. But don't we already have one? Or is that the 1st option you mention?

Soon I'll be changing to LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) as Petrol is way to expensive overhere with my kind of mileage. I'm driving the car now for 5 days and already emptied a complete tank. At 110 EUR per tank this is going to cost me approx. 160 EUR a week just for the petrol. That's $ 210.

But because of the new petrol, I would like to be able to monitor what's going on. I'm also thinking seriously about HP Tuners...

THanks for advice..

Pascal

We have narrow band O2 sensors already. They are only accurate in a narrow range around stoich (14.7 AFR for gas). I don't know about LPG, but would assume its stoich point is different.

The Dakota gauge is far better than one of the gauges that tap into your stock O2 sensors.  If you look at the sending unit data, it's a 3-wire heated O2 sensor.  So it's not using the stock O2, it has it's own.  Not sure if it's a wideband type, but may be adaptable.

I would definitely get that one over one of the kind that piggyback my stock O2s.

Unless its wideband, its still a waste of money. For $79.95 I doubt it is a wideband sensor, or it is, a very cheap one. As I mentioned above, without the translation for your vehicle from mV to AFR, this gauge doesn't give you any extra useful information.

Archived