Intermediate Steering Shaft

2003SilvSS

I've got 11,000 miles left on my warranty and I have a question. I know that alot of people feel the "clunk" in their steering wheel. From what I've gathered, it seems to be a common problem with the silverados. Before my warranty is up, should I tell them it is clunking to get them to replace it even though I don't really feel anythign? My luck is that it'll start to clunk at 36,001. :confused:

Brian

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The dealer will probably check out your truck to see if they can find the problem...So if you dont have that problem, I dont think they will want to fix it...I just went to the dealer to take care of that problem 2 weeks ago,they looked at it first, then they told me that they did find a problem and they had to order the part.

They are supposed to call me when they get the part but you know how that goes... :banghead::banghead: ..I think im gunna be waiting for a long time...

I told my dealer about the noise and they ordered the part and replaced it as soon as it came in. Looking at my mileage before and after service, they did not drive it. It is a known problem and I would not see why they would not change it out under warranty regardless if it is or isn't making noise at the present time.

It is worth a shot.

Hey fellas, I also have had that problem and it is getting worse.  I have taken it to the dearler and they have agreed BUT it has been 2 months and they still say that the part is on backorder.  So be ready to wait.

You are right there. I had to wait several weeks, but the wait is worth it...silent steering :D

Mine is at the dealer, this morning, getting the steering shaft replaced. It had been on backorder for two months. The clunk started off hardly noticable, but got a little worse over time. She's got about 19,500 miles and besides the side window latch coming unglued when it was new, the steering shaft problem is the only warranty issue I've had. Oh yeah, my dealer just called. He said he found another problem ........ the passenger side mirror was not heating and said he would repair it, too. ;)

After getting stonewalled where I bought the truck (on the steering shaft), I went to another dealer who deals in a much larger volume of vehicles.

They replaced the steering shaft right away. Had one in stock. A friend of mine had his replaced there last week after a 2 week wait, they must have ordered extra when they ordered his.

Sure makes a difference.

They also replaced the tailgate cables.

Back from the dealer just now, and they not only replaced the intermediate shaft on the spot but also replaced the power steering pressure valve. The service department did not get off scott-free, the truck now drifts to the right a bit, the steering wheel is off-center by about 1/8th of a turn, and there were huge greasy boot prints in the floor mats and scrapes on the door jams. :mad:

Mr. P.

Initially, when I told my dealer about the clunk and suggested the steering shaft needed to be replaced, he said lubing it would solve the problem. I told him, well ok, but most people on the SS site said a steering shaft was the cure. Later, when I took it to the dealer for the grease job, he said "Oh yeah, I checked into that and I have a shaft on order for your truck." Needless to say, this is only one example of how useful SilveradoSS.com is to all of us.

the intermediate shaft on gm's is a problem not only on trucks. i also have the "clunking" in my steering wheel. my passenger side heated mirror also took a dive and after replacing the pcm(not sure why they replaced it), each module in both doors, and the bcm they finally found it was a faulty heater coil in the mirror itself. thousands of dollars worth of gm computers down the drain. eventually i will take it back to get the steering fixed. also, square wave tig welders will erase keyless remotes or anything with solid state memories. i have to have one of those reprogrammed too.

Not just SS's with the problem. A bunch of em! My understanding is that dealers have been instructed to do the "lube kit" first and not to replace the shaft initially. Fuss, Get the lube kit, fuss again, get the shaft replaced. I just had mine replaced.

I also have had both front wheel bearing assemblies replaced and two leaky rear shocks replaced. I love the truck but I'm getting tired of the rough ride that keeps getting rougher.

Archived