Tailgate Question

I have a question about the tailgate on my 03 SSS. I noticed that when I bought it that on the top of the tailgate, on the inside, it had a few scratches on it. I thought no big deal, that the previous owner loaded something in the back and must have scratched it a little. I plan to USE the bed of my SS to haul things occasionally. This plastic piece that goes over the top of the tailgate, it scratches so easy. I'd like to put a spray in bedliner in it and go over the rails, then put a hard toneau cover on it, but this would defy being able to use the bed.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this plastic piece without altering the look of the tailgate?

Here's one thought I had. Possibly remove the plastic shield and have a spray in liner color matche and NOT go over the rail. I don't know, I'm just looking for ideas to think about. Any input would be appreciated.

Brian

I have a question about the tailgate on my 03 SSS.  I noticed that when I bought it that on the top of the tailgate, on the inside, it had a few scratches on it.  I thought no big deal, that the previous owner loaded something in the back and must have scratched it a little.  I plan to USE the bed of my SS to haul things occasionally.  This plastic piece that goes over the top of the tailgate, it scratches so easy.  I'd like to put a spray in bedliner in it and go over the rails, then put a hard toneau cover on it, but this would defy being able to use the bed.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this plastic piece without altering the look of the tailgate? 

Here's one thought I had.  Possibly remove the plastic shield and have a spray in liner color matche and NOT go over the rail.  I don't know, I'm just looking for ideas to think about.  Any input would be appreciated.

Brian

If you do remove the plastic piece there are 4 holes on the outside of the tail gate just so you know they would need to be welded up and smoothed out then repainted. I removed the plastic piece on mine shaved the holes and handle I plan on doing a smooth cover with over the rail spray in bed liner

Depending on the cover, it might cover those holes on the tailgate spoiler. You can do a spray in liner and color it to your truck but I wouldn't go over the rails. If you shave the handle with the holes, I suggest a rollpan too.

It depends on the cover you get some covers hang down in the rear to cover the plastic and some do not they just follow straight around and the plastic would hang lower than the lid and I do belive that the holes would show on the second lid mentioned!

The guy who did my Line-X told me if I wanted to remove that tailgate cap he could spray the Line-X just like the cap sat on the tailgate. That might be an option.

You can't see my cap when my tonneau cover is shut. I have the SnugTop SL.

Late- Alex

On my first SS I had a srpay in liner and I had it come up to the tialgate cap. I have always been very carefull and I do not haul much in the back, and haven't ever had a snug top or bed cap.

But anytime I do haul anything that might hang over the top of the tailgate I carry a red fendercover to keep from scratching it and I always have a rachetstrap to keep things from sliding.

Josh

Archived