Anybody running Thorley or Try-y headers?

383ss

that's kinda like the response I got...

For your application we made part number 309 but is a short style header.

The 310Y is a long tube tri-Y but has EGR on the pass side witch you would

have to block off.

I emailed him back asking if the 310Y would fit or not :banghead:

have to block off.

I'm thinking of getting it and trying it in a few weeks. One thing I've read on another board is that the angle of the Y-pipe is different with the 6.0L than the 4.8/5.3L... but I don't know how big of a deal that will be since it has to be welded up anyway :dunno:

How would you go about blocking the EGR? Weld the tube shut?

have to block off.

I'm thinking of getting it and trying it in a few weeks. One thing I've read on another board is that the angle of the Y-pipe is different with the 6.0L than the 4.8/5.3L... but I don't know how big of a deal that will be since it has to be welded up anyway :dunno:

How would you go about blocking the EGR? Weld the tube shut?

Either that or see if someone makes a block off plate. I don't think there would be an issue with the Y pipe since, like you said, it has to be welded.

I know the Tri-Y desing has been around for years with great success, and so has Doug Thorley Headers. I'm curious about them, too. I want headers for mine, and was looking at Togs, but they are kind of pricey, also.

MisterP, I know what you mean about the old Pontiacs. I have a 70 GTO, and the pass side header was the lowest point on the car. The drivers side was the second lowest. Had to take speed bumps reeeeeeaaaaaal slow.

Speed bumps suck for sure, but I hammered mine by catching too much air on CA gold country back roads (think amateur night Dukes of Hazzard)! :driving: The Hooker Super Comps are really bad for ground clearance, not only did the bottom tubes get mashed flat, all four tubes got bent rearwards (towards the firewall) so far I could not get the oil filter off, the #8 tube was mashed-up against the filter body! So, the Thorley's and a set of H-O Racing springs fixed the high-speed bottoming out problems! ...I think I need to get another old beater Firebird! :D

Mr. P. :)

I know the Tri-Y desing has been around for years with great success, and so has Doug Thorley Headers. I'm curious about them, too. I want headers for mine, and was looking at Togs, but they are kind of pricey, also.

MisterP, I know what you mean about the old Pontiacs. I have a 70 GTO, and the pass side header was the lowest point on the car. The drivers side was the second lowest. Had to take speed bumps reeeeeeaaaaaal slow.

Speed bumps suck for sure, but I hammered mine by catching too much air on CA gold country back roads (think amateur night Dukes of Hazzard)! :driving: The Hooker Super Comps are really bad for ground clearance, not only did the bottom tubes get mashed flat, all four tubes got bent rearwards (towards the firewall) so far I could not get the oil filter off, the #8 tube was mashed-up against the filter body! So, the Thorley's and a set of H-O Racing springs fixed the high-speed bottoming out problems! ...I think I need to get another old beater Firebird! :D

I had Hooker Supercomps on mine, too. Mine weren't quite that bad. :crackup: The pass side exhaust pipe flange had one of the bolts pionting down. (the three bolt one) So, I had leak issues with that side. I guess that's what you get for $100 a pair. :crackup:

I had Hooker Supercomps on mine, too. Mine weren't quite that bad. :crackup: The pass side exhaust pipe flange had one of the bolts pionting down. (the three bolt one) So, I had leak issues with that side. I guess that's what you get for $100 a pair. :crackup:

:) Hope to meet you and share more Pontiac bs at the next North Texas area GTG.

Archived