LS6 Heads

SS_man_62

Tex, :thumbs::thumbs:

Very informative post. Sounds like you've got the better deal with LS1edit if I'm reading that correctly. Does it let you make changes "on the fly" or does the vehicle have to be off? Do you get to set the programming or is it a variety of programs that you get to load? Sorry for all the questions, but this has really gotten my interest up... :cheers:

I had no idea that you trucks had so much in common with other GM vehicles. That's a great deal for you in that you don't have to wait for someone else to make the mistakes... ;)

Happy Memorial Day to all!!!! :flag::flag::flag:

I bet you'd see 30+ HP with a set of 02 LS6 heads and an 02 LS6 camshaft. You'd just need a little tuning to get the full benefit and away you go.

does anybody know how this would fly over in cali with all the smog laws out here? sound intresting to me. :thumbs::chevy:

GHOST - I have LS1 edit on my laptop. You download the PCM stock tune into a file. From that original file, you can change many parameters. Most of the areas are tables like a spreadsheet while others are just "settings". It allowed me to adjust tires size, top speed limiter, shift points, shift firmness, gear ratio, fuel inectors, timing, MAF flow, knock retard levels, torque management, and many others. It was well worth the money. The LS1 edit for the 03 models is still in beta testing. The company has had some data errors when connecting to the PCM with the standard cable, so you hae to pull out the PCM and hook it directly to an adapter to the LS1 edit cable. I love it. It allows me to run a hot tune for the track, or less timing for nitrous, and regular timing for day to day driving. Uploading changes takes about 2 minutes, but the vehicle has to be parked to make the upload, so no on the fly changes.

johnsen - The LS6 cam and heads are stock equipment on the Z06, so I assume it would be emissions legal. You don't have to do the heads to run the cam. The cam is less than $200 plus you'll need better valve springs. The heads are expensive. You are probably better off just getting the stock heads milled down about .025 inches. That is for the "budget" minded. Better performance would come from a custom ground cam and ported heads. I am running the smaller 2001 LS6 cam on my 99 Z71 and gained 32 HP from just the cam swap.

Tex,

That sounds GREAT!!! :thumbs: Much more simple than what I have to do. Fortunately, I have a "flip" (2 way) chip that I have one side tuned for temps below 70 and the other side tuned for warmer weather. I think it's handy, but being able to setup all the parameters sounds too good to be true! (I do believe you, it's just very advanced from what I am used to.) :D

I can see where you would love it. I know I would...

I don't know if it matters to you or not, but I use a product from autosport called a "green knob". It's great for disconnecting your battery without having to use tools. It's basically a connector between the negative cable and the negative terminal consisting of a big copper bolt with a big green plastic knob on the end. You pop the hood, take out the knob and presto, disconnected battery... Just an FYI, thought you might be interested since you seem to be taking yours out about as often as I take mine out. (It also makes a pretty good "kill switch" if you put it in your pocket when you go into the movies, or whatever.... )

Thanks a bunch for the info! Good hunting!

BigTex...I am glad you don't live around the corner from me or we could have some serious fun. :D I am planning on going into my engine for some "enhancements" that won't kill me in 4 years when I have to go through emmissions. I may do this in stages:

1. stock heads ported; mild cam; maybe mill them down just a bit; tuning

2. If I do not like the results...LS6 heads - ported and milled; hotter cam; valve work and then dig into the tranny.

I would love to sit comfortable in the mid 13's on N/A motor that will not blow up in 50K miles. I believe it is a realistic goal and will cost me around 5K.

I can't wait to get mine. Just have to make it look like I'm not tearing it up when I get after the mods or my wife will scalp me. I've bee spending the weekend de-modding my 99 Z71. Pulled off the intake, electric fans, nitrous oxide, headers, and some stereo equipment. Still need to get the exhaust buttoned back up. I didn't have time to pull the transmission and yank out my Yank, so I'll run it by a trans shop and pay to get it done. The 4wd transmission swap is a major PITA. If all goes well, late this week I'll be driving a Black SS.

Before I got the "SS Bug", I had planned on throwing a LQ9 into my truck. I have been collecting mods for it for the last few months. Well, those can go directly onto the SS. I have a set of heads that I hand ported. Nothing major, just cleaned all the casting out of the runners and blended the seats into the bowls. I was going to get them milled to up compression, but plan on just using Felpro 1041 gaskets. They are thinner than stock so compression will go to almost 10.4:1 and it should have a little better squish area. I have a cam, but I may change to another grind before I install it. I need to send off my LS1 edit cable and update the firmware to program the new 03 PCM.

I love this stuff.

I can't wait to get mine. Just have to make it look like I'm not tearing it up when I get after the mods or my wife will scalp me. I've bee spending the weekend de-modding my 99 Z71. Pulled off the intake, electric fans, nitrous oxide, headers, and some stereo equipment. Still need to get the exhaust buttoned back up. I didn't have time to pull the transmission and yank out my Yank, so I'll run it by a trans shop and pay to get it done. The 4wd transmission swap is a major PITA. If all goes well, late this week I'll be driving a Black SS.

Before I got the "SS Bug", I had planned on throwing a LQ9 into my truck. I have been collecting mods for it for the last few months. Well, those can go directly onto the SS. I have a set of heads that I hand ported. Nothing major, just cleaned all the casting out of the runners and blended the seats into the bowls. I was going to get them milled to up compression, but plan on just using Felpro 1041 gaskets. They are thinner than stock so compression will go to almost 10.4:1 and it should have a little better squish area. I have a cam, but I may change to another grind before I install it. I need to send off my LS1 edit cable and update the firmware to program the new 03 PCM.

I love this stuff.

glad to hear that you are gettin an SS :cheers: Im assuming all the stuff from your 99 will be sitting in your SS when you get it? If so i cant wait to see some times with the nitrous and everything else :thumbs:

Im planning on doing a cam and some real good headwork to my truck as well. I think im going to go with a 02 Z06 cam because it looks like it would be a good blower cam. I hope to get some good numbers out of that before i get the procharger to hold me over until i can afford the blower.

I was originally planning on doing twin turbos, but i decided not too because of emissions problems that i would run into, and since procharger already has a CARB# im gonna go with that instead

Archived