LS6 Heads

SS_man_62

Is there any way to put the LS6 heads from the Z06 Corvette on the Silverado SS

If there is, How big of power gains are we looking at??

Yes. they would bolt right on... But you wouldn't gain anything IMHO... Your better off with a little stronger camshaft and headers vs the heads for about the same dough. :eek:

Yes you would gain some, just cant say how much. Compression would be up to about 10.8:1 making more torque and more HP. You would really need to run 93 octane. If you went with the 02+ LS6 head, the lighter weight valves would give you a little benefit as well. The LS6 heads flow better in stock form with higher lift than the 6L heads. So running a larger lift camshaft would be a good idea.

I bet you'd see 30+ HP with a set of 02 LS6 heads and an 02 LS6 camshaft. You'd just need a little tuning to get the full benefit and away you go.

Funny you should mention that! I have been working with SLP here in NJ to customize a set of LS6 (light porting) heads, rockers and a mild cam. They will bolt right up and with mild milling will boost compression. They have bluprinted me a combo that they expect a 75HP gain in street legal trim. They also mentioned a gain of 100HP+ in off road trim (non emmision legal) They quoted me a price of $3500.00 installed with another $300 for computer tuning...kind of $$$ That includes the core swap :cry: They will also have the stock heads ported for a gain of 25-30 HP for a very affordable $500.00...now the install is extra though.

I feel that in the next 6 months, we will have a nice buffet of aftermarket goodies to choose from. :thumbs: I just have a hard time waiting!

Speaking as an outsider, it looks like your aftermarket is where the Lightning aftermarket was a few years ago. When I got my 01 a lot of folks were breaking engines when putting on pullies. Now most folks can go to 4# of overboost with no problems if they just tune the chip correctly.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that being on the "bleeding" edge can get expensive, both in broken parts and a year or two later replacing the "old" way of doing something with the "new" way of doing the same thing, but it's HARD to wait for the market to catch up, I know...

That said, and I do realzie this is a new model truck, what is Chevy's stance on warranty vs. mods? I can tell you that Ford is NOT mod-friendly....

Good luck in your quest for power, it can get very addictive and expensive.... :thumbs:

Expensive is an understatement, GR. I've got just under $5,000 in mods in mine so far and I was planning on putting on a s-chgr. next month. That will put it close to $11 grand. Whew. I always take a deep breath and think about it for a long time when doing this because, as you know, almost every dime you put into a vehicle in the aftermarket is lost on resale. [takes deep breath]

I would be thrilled to live in the same town as Dave just to go for a ride in his rig. I'd think I died and got to heaven. :D

:eek::eek::eek:

I don't have that much in mine yet, but I've already had to buy two new Goodyear F1s, seems I found some wear defect in them after the pulley and the traction bars... :D:D:eek:

Then again, I'm not running on those big ole pretty 20 inch chromes, either... ;)

That's a lot for forced induction, but I am crazy about the blower... Have you considered a turbo? Just curious. Do you have any concerns about the higher compression with the blower? What about your electronics/timing with the blower? The only thing I know for sure is that (at least on our trucks) going lean in forced induction = parts on the ground in a big hurry... :wtf:

But I know when the mod bug bites, you can get pretty helpless in it's grasp. Best of luck on it whichever way you go. :flag:

Yeah, I've thought about a turbo, too. As a matter of fact, I've thought about everything that will make it faster. Not being related to Mr Gates, though, cost is always a concern. So are "parts on the ground." I know nothing about being a mechanic, GR. So your question and electronics/wiring go over my head. I will research it very carefully before deciding on someone to do the install. There reputation is critical as I need them to advise me and what to do and what NOT to do. Someone who is reputable will do that. Others, as you know, will try and slam you with stuff you don't need.

You know what we need around here is a chat area where we don't have to keep going back and forth talking between threads. Hey Merv.....any chance of that, big guy? :pop:

Yeah, I've thought about a turbo, too. As a matter of fact, I've thought about everything that will make it faster. Not being related to Mr Gates, though, cost is always a concern. So are "parts on the ground." I know nothing about being a mechanic, GR. So your question and electronics/wiring go over my head. I will research it very carefully before deciding on someone to do the install. The co's reputation is critical as I need them to advise me and what to do and what NOT to do. Someone who is reputable will do that. Others, as you know, will try and slam you with stuff you don't need.

You know what we need around here is a chat area where we don't have to keep going back and forth talking between threads. Hey Merv.....any chance of that, big guy? :pop:

I am in no way a mechanic either, Lee, and don't mean to come off sounding like one... What I've learned I've picked up from watching others and "listening" to the tales of woe on the web. What I mean by the electronics is that on the L's there is a port on the ECU where you can plug in a "chip". The software on the chip is critical and controls such things as fuel/air mix, shift points, top speed, etc, etc, even line pressure on the transmission... This software has to be changed to compensate for things like overboost pullies, changes in air flow, throttle body, etc.

Fortunately, the lightning community is sufficently mature that we have more than one "tuner" and some variety of parts and paths to choose. We also have a "fair" used mod market which I have made good use of in my quest... I don't know how much the vette community can offer you in the way of cross-over products and services, but hope it's good for you. As I know the pain of waiting all too well...

I totally agree with you about the reputation of the person/company doing the work and advising you. It's a critical choice and has to be researched very thouroughly to avoid a very costly mistake...

BTW, I usually hang out on a "local" board in the Middle Tennessee area, it's www.tennesspeed.net, you might stop by and check it out. It's fully open to all brands and models and is just a fun spot to hang out. I don't think we have a single SS registered and I'm sure that several guys would like to see pics and discuss your "baby" ;) :D

Funny you should mention that! I have been working with SLP here in NJ to customize a set of LS6 (light porting) heads, rockers and a mild cam. They will bolt right up and with mild milling will boost compression. They have bluprinted me a combo that they expect a 75HP gain in street legal trim. They also mentioned a gain of 100HP+ in off road trim (non emmision legal) They quoted me a price of $3500.00 installed with another $300 for computer tuning...kind of $$$ That includes the core swap :cry: They will also have the stock heads ported for a gain of 25-30 HP for a very affordable $500.00...now the install is extra though.

I feel that in the next 6 months, we will have a nice buffet of aftermarket goodies to choose from. :thumbs: I just have a hard time waiting!

With the SS silverado being basically a LS1 based engine, we already have tons of options. Problem is, most guys with trucks dont go for heads / cam and other internal mods. Trucks owners have generally been bolt-on buyers and rarely do anything internally. How many trucks out there have flowmaster mufflers and K&N filters? Millions. How many have true motor work? not many...

Basically, look to tried and true LS1 based engine shops for mods to these motors. There are lots available already and you don't have to wait.

:eek:  :eek:  :eek:

I don't have that much in mine yet, but I've already had to buy two new Goodyear F1s, seems I found some wear defect in them after the pulley and the traction bars...  :D  :D  :eek:

Then again, I'm not running on those big ole pretty 20 inch chromes, either...  ;)

That's a lot for forced induction, but I am crazy about the blower... Have you considered a turbo? Just curious. Do you have any concerns about the higher compression with the blower?  What about your electronics/timing with the blower? The only thing I know for sure is that (at least on our trucks) going lean in forced induction = parts on the ground in a big hurry...  :wtf:

But I know when the mod bug bites, you can get pretty helpless in it's grasp. Best of luck on it whichever way you go.  :flag:

Fortunately for us, the Cadillac Escalade uses the same engine and drive train, so there are some things already develop for us. Now that the SS is out, I think we will see more developments for the LQ9 engine.

I have added a blower to my SS, and I love it. The low end power is addicting :D The blower runs about $5000 plus installation or do it yourself and save (maybe). It comes as a complete kit, including the necessary computer updates to make it work. Because of the high compression ratio of the engine, the blower only runs 5-6 lbs. And there is probably not much more room to up the boost

I am going to try some computer work next to see if there is any more performance to be had by removing torque management.

That is fortunate that you have some market to work from. There was nowhere to work "from" in 99 when Ford released the first blown 5.4 with the eaton... It was a real interesting time... :rolleyes:

I was wondering how much boost you could add with that compression ratio. Most of the 5.4s can go to about 12 lbs before you really have to get inside and start adding harder parts (read RODS :) ) Between the whining and the torque, I know exactly what you mean about it being addicting... I feel like I need to stick my head out the window and howl when I'm really into the boost... :D:D:D

Torque reduction? I thought that was a purely ford thing... please advise... Just to clarify what Ford does. They took the F250 (3/4 ton) auto trans and stuffed it into a box that would fit inside a 150 chassi and called it the 4R100. They have a 4 cylinder cut out between the 1-2 shift to reduce the torgue on the trans during the shift. It's a very short cut out, but makes the truck sound like it's farting between shifts when you're getting into it hard... :wtf: Most chips remove this AND raise line pressure and it's easy to blow the clutch packs when you do both of those things.... Is chevy doing something similar???

Big Tex, I believe you're right, most everyone I've met has chosen the bolt-on route over the "get inside it" route, any ideas as to why?

Gm has programmed the PCM to pull ignition timing at full throttle from standing starts, between shifts, and when downshifting. Its their answer for a weak transmission. Most aftermarket programming will attempt to reduce those efffects and up the line pressure as well. Fortunately, we have LS1 edit software. That lets us edit lots of specific parameters, log the results and make more changes. I am so glad we don't have the old style EPROM chip programming.

dcairns, krambo, and whoever else that thinks the LQ9 needs new and specific mods. Any internal engine mod and most external mods and bolts ons that work for the 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, and 6.0 will work for these engines. There is nothing that really needs "developing". What you need is some guys with balls enough to start putting in different sized cams to see what works best.

I hope to get my SS this week and say goodbye to my 12 second Z71. I cant wait, I have just about every needed aftermarket part to whip this truck into shape. Too bad the cool spring weather is gone. I'll have it running solid 13s on motor and a little better on the spray.

Archived