Truckin'

luvmySS

The part I really got frustrated with was they kept refering to the 93 lightning as being the first sport truck on the market :nono: If they knew what they were talking about they would know :chevy: had the first sport truck w/ the 454SS in 1990. The first L came out the final production year of the 454SS in 1993. So why did they keep saying "since 1993 the lightning has enjoyed a great amount of success, and literally no competition, until now." And stop me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the 91 GMC syclone run circles around the L :crazy: sorry just venting

Maybe they were just referring to full size trucks?????

Who knows......... or maybe it was just standard lame journalism. :D

Actually, if you want to get technical, the first actual sport truck was the Dodge Little Red Express (or whatever they called it......... I'm not real up on Dodges). I forget what year that was........ but I think it was a '79???

Oh well......... it is kinda splitting hairs.

Lets face it, most comparisons are lame. :)

The part I really got frustrated with was they kept refering to the 93 lightning as being the first sport truck on the market :nono: If they knew what they were talking about they would know :chevy: had the first sport truck w/ the 454SS in 1990. The first L came out the final production year of the 454SS in 1993. So why did they keep saying "since 1993 the lightning has enjoyed a great amount of success, and literally no competition, until now." And stop me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the 91 GMC syclone run circles around the L :crazy: sorry just venting

What about the Lil Red Express? that was from the 70s, they got up and haulin....

-Joe

The part I really got frustrated with was they kept refering to the 93 lightning as being the first sport truck on the market  :nono:  If they knew what they were talking about they would know  :chevy: had the first sport truck w/ the 454SS in 1990.  The first L came out the final production year of the 454SS in 1993.  So why did they keep saying "since 1993 the lightning has enjoyed a great amount of success, and literally no competition, until now."  And stop me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the 91 GMC syclone run circles around the L :crazy:  sorry just venting

What about the Lil Red Express? that was from the 70s, they got up and haulin....

-Joe

Potbelly Joe,

Your historical facts and comments are accurate :cheers: As so often (not always) in the media their facts are incomplete, ill-advised, incompetent, inconceiveable, inept, inaccurate, and in this case they don't have a CLUE :shakehead:

but wouldn't the 91 GMC syclone run circles around the L

The GMC Syclone was the quickest 0 to 60 production vehicle on the Planet during its short production run...... If I recall corectly, 3.6 seconds.

actually the first sport truck was the 1978 Dodge lil' red Express w/ the 'LA' SB 360 (police model). It was the fastest American production vehicle of 1978 as tested by Car & Driver and had a standing 1/4mile run of 14.7 tested by Hot Rod magazine. I believe the 14.7 run was a reamer because most ran in the mid 15's. :thumbs:

actually the first sport truck was the 1978 Dodge lil' red Express

Ford may have beat Dodge by 21 years with the 1957 Ranchero that had the following High Performance engine option

Also available in every Series, at extra cost, is the special high performance 270-hp Thunderbird 312 Super V-8.  And, an extra-high performance special 300-hp Thunderbird 312 Supercharged V-8.
see 57 Ford History I was just discovering cars when these guys hit the road and I was a huge Ford Fan.

Ford may have beat Dodge by 21 years with the 1957 Ranchero that had the following High Performance engine option

I guess if you include that then also you must include the 70 SS LS6 El Camino, but I mean c'mon do you really consider those trucks? more like cars with beds.

I would say that those were def. cars.... or else we have to concede that the Suby Baja is truly a pick-up, and that the Forester is not a station wagon, but an SUV that should be on the same plane as the blazers and exploders.... and thats a whole new can of worms....

-Joe

Archived