Plug wires & Plugs

RacerJJ

I'm sure this is a :repost: but I can't seem to figure out that search function. :withstupid: Anyway, can anyone give me a part # on MSD wires for my 03 as well as which plugs to go with. I am getting multiple cylinder misfire codes from my PCM and Bryan advised me to check/change the plug wires. I figure while I am at it, I'll change the plugs too...probably need it with 41,000 miles on her! Thanks in advance!

:cheers:

Yeah, I'm running MSD 8.5's. I recommend them.

I ran Taylor Thundervold 50's. They had some quality issues with them, and I had to junk'em.

The MSD's seem bullet-proof as far as plug wires go.

I think I'm running the 29's.

The problem is that the Taylors fit PERFECT, while the MSD's are a hair too long and require pairing two wires on each side of the engine together with zip-ties, to keep them away from danger. (AC drip pan, and steering shaft nut).

Plugs - I like NGK TR55's. Standard copper ones are fine... Platinum or iridium or whatever if you don't want to change them out in ~20K miles.

If you're going to replace the wires, I suggest replacing them with OEM wires. You may want to test the old ones with a ohmmeter first. After all the research I did, I found aftermarket wires seemed to create more problems than they solved. As far as plugs, NGK seems to be the brand of choice.

Regarding resistance... Just tossing this info out there...

2004 SS truck wires - 800ohms

2002 5.3 truck wires (Avalanche) - 400ohms

MSD8.5's, TV50's - ~25-40ohms (if I remember right -- either way, they were VERY low)

Anyone notice that the SS was listed as having "low resistance plug wires"? Who were they kidding?

my search button works too :thumbs::D

As far as resistance goes, read something a while back that lower resistance is not everthing. Pretty sure I got 2k ohms on my Magnacor wires, FWIW.

Ha, Ha...very funny! :crackup: My search button works too, but I am not the most computer savvy guy on this site and I can't seem to find most of what I am searching for! Thanks for the input though. :thumbs:

Archived