Why didn't Chevy install the LS6?

SS_man_62

After reading the road test in Car and Driver I came away with a biter sweet feeling. The opening head line reads "Chevrolet Silverado SS - In which Super Sport becomes Simmer Sport", now at first I'm thinking they must hate this thing. But after reading the article I find out this SS is almost a second faster 0-60mph, and in the quarter-mile, a full second faster also, so how can Car and Driver be dissing on this thing when it rides better, performs better, can be driven all year round thanks to the AWD system GM installed on it. I don't get how any one can't love this vehicle. The only thing I see that the SS lacks is a supercharger option, or a LS6 option

Bottom Line

I still LOVE this Thing

I installed a LS6 in my Yukon,, let just say the results were less impressive than I had expected. A higher stall would have helped it but below 3500 it was a pooch, after that it really took off. So I added a larger lift cam and heads ect.. It made 323RWHP with the stock exhaust and got great mileage to boot :jester:

I still can't figure out what they mean by "simmer sport".

All in all they liked the truck...let's not forget Car and Driver is owned by a French company...I read the article at 7-Eleven and left the mag behind :flag:

Sport Truck has a good write up this month!

The only opinion that really matters is yours...PROUD SS OWNER!

the LS6 wasn't installed due to the choice of the awd and extended cab. in a 2wd regular cab, the lack of lower rpm torque would be less noticable, but in the bigger/heavier version, the truck would have terrible towing and around town driving manners. also, the LS6 isn't available with an automatic so programming would have been alot more work to be put in. as for why no supercharger, that i don't know other than the cost was already higher than most of it's market. some feel i'm knocking the ss when i comment on it's speed, i'm not putting it down, i certainly point out there is no reason to be bragging about it's performance. aside from looks, the ss isn't anything that new. the c3 was out well before the ss covering the numbers put up by the ss within a small amount. the ss does notably outhandle a non quadrasteer c3 due to it's tire size, but other than that the ss is basicly built for looks. i'm not even sure the awd was even chosen other than possibly the torque rating of the standard autotrack selectable 4wd system used in the half ton (i forget the t. case number off hand). i've read about every review i could find by anyone worth reading it from and the performance issue hasn't just been brought up by me. personally i'd like to see the ss to get a bump up to around 360 to 380hp as well as the option be spanned out into all of it's half ton veriations (ex-cab, reg cab, 2wd, 4wd, awd).

Archived